Fracture ankle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my ankle in February we're now in June I've had several x-rays but the fracture hasn't healed plus my ankle keeps swelling something fierce. I asked my doctor what will happen and he just said well see just have to wait. Had anyone had a similar experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth yep I fractured my hip and pelvis one year ago this month, pelvis is healed now but hip hasn't healed yet, I'm told it can take up to 18 to 24 months to heal, how true this is I don't know, but it was an orthopedic surgeon and physiotherapist who told me this, remember as well you have damaged all the muscles as well.

Not a quick process just don't try to run before you can walk

• Posted

Thanks. I'm just ecstatic I'm up and able to at least take baby steps... Cried so much thinking I was not going to be able to walk again.

• Posted

No you will walk again, your bones will heal fine and so long as you do as your told there's no reason why you shouldn't go back to how you were before, I would certainly ask for a blood test to check your vitamin D levels, its important as if there low your bones can break easier and want heal, mine were what they called critically low, on high doses daily now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.