Fracture Blisters

Posted , 3 users are following.

As many of you know, my cast was removed thus week after 12 1/2 weeks. I noticed blisters on my ankle immediately and was told they are fracture blisters. When I got home and actually checking it out, I realized they go all the way around my ankle. Does anyone else have these? Is it normal?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I haven't noticed any when I go in to get my cast changed. Maybe you should have them checked out so they don't get infected. Sorry you are going through this right after getting your cast off Lee Lee. If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?
    • Posted

Yes, it is. Definitely not a simple injury. I took my boot off last night to ice my ankle and my foot looked extremely red. My husband took some pictures and I sent them to a friend, who is an ortho nurse at the hospital. He sent them to my doctors PA. He said that it is microvascular damage caused by the RSD. I have to do ice baths and hot baths 2 to 3 times a day. This is never ending.
    • Posted

Hi Lee- Sorry you are not having to deal with all this. I've read about the ice and hot baths (therapeutic contrasting) in the hope to get tissues to adapt to sudden changes and to get the circulation going a bit better. I hope it helps you and it certainly can't hurt! How bad is your daily pain? I hope it is not too bad for you! Thinking about you and hoping you have a fast recovery from the fracture blisters. 
  • Posted

Hi Leelee

RSD has many faces, I went and continue to go thru the stages of it. My foot was red purple and I had a blister rash all over the surgery site. I slathered aloe Vera on it, check with your Dr first. I could not do the cold/ hot bath, my foot felt frozen, cold and ice I could not stand. Do what feels right for you. RSD is not common or well understood. They gravitate to these treatments but they are not set in stone. I even melted warm coconut oil and poured it on my foot, it felt amazing....I found treatments that work for me. You will too. Your in the beginning after getting your cast off. Go easy.....let me know if I can help. Take good care....xo

• Posted

The ice is horrible, but heat feels pretty good. I have been doing aloe, seems to help. Thanks Jannie
    • Posted

Has your doctor said anything to you about microvascular damage caused by RSD?
    • Posted

Yes, one of the things I take in compound cream has a vascular drug in it....remember RSD is caused by the central nervous system which affects blood flow and nerves....I hope this helps.....
    • Posted

It does, thank you. This is a learn as you go thing. Sometimes I think my brain is on overload lol.

How are you doing? Any improvement?

• Posted

I'm out of my boot, in runners, my leg is not strong and hyperextended, working o n this. My foot still looks odd but getting a normal look back to it.   Using walker more, still cannot support my foot with leg. I am making slow progress none the less. How's the pain Leelee?  Keep on......
    • Posted

Slow progress is better than no progress. There are days when the pain is unbearable, but other days not too bad. I start PT on the 20th and I am hoping that helps. I can tell you that I have one strange looking foot.
    • Posted

That makes two of us....haha. Go say n PT. mine started quite aggressively that set me back at the very beginning. Now she goes at a rate I can handle. The main thing with RSD is to get function  back and that is one big challenge but doable, go slow......forgot to mention arnica cream is my friend......xo 
    • Posted

That's...go slow n PT......? 
    • Posted

Jannie, don't know what I would do without you. A lot of people don't understand RSD and it is nice to talk to someone who does.

My niece is a physical therapist and is going to send me some gel that supposedly works really good. I will let you know.

• Posted

Hi Leelee, i hope it helps. If your pain gets real bad ask for the gabbapentin and ketamine cream for the base of your spine, it has been a game changer.  Keep me posted And have a good nite! 👣
    • Posted

Thanks Jannie, I have the gabbapentin and it does help some. I will let you know how the gel works.
    • Posted

That's great news, getting the pain under control is key to rehab. Keep me posted on gel, what's in it??  Take care xo
    • Posted

I will keep you posted on it. My niece is mailing it to me. She is a PT and they use it for patients with RSD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.