Fracture humerous worried about going back to work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fractured the ball of my shoulder about 7 weeks ago the physio said I have also damaged my rotator cuff , my arm is still very sore and very weak I still can not lift it up by itself, my sick note runs out in three weeks, I work on the checkout and we move heavy itrms along side to side and it Christmas so lots of crates of booze, there isn't any other duties, do you think this could damage my arm further? or shall I ask for more time off work.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you been back to the orthopaedic consultant yet?. He is the person who can tell you if you are fit to go back to work. Unfortunately you cannot rush these fractures.Good luck.
    • Posted

I saw the doctor  very quickly at the fracture clinic they are so busy he just looked and said we will see you in  six weeks and review treatment if it hasn't improved, and then he walk out, they are so busy , the nurse looked more sympathetic I told her about my job she said I can always get another sick note?. the dovtord just haven't the time to answer questions these  days .

• Posted

I would have more time if work to be on the safe side. I'm 13 weeks post op repaired tendon and clean out the rotary cuff. I'm in pain it's inflamed waiting to have injections still off work, I need to go back it's not much fun being in sick pay. People don't realise how painful the shoulder is .

• Posted

yes I am seriously thinking of getting a bit more time out I am not sleeping great as you know it is worse when lying down
    • Posted

Are you propping yourself up in bed with pillows?  Five pillows worked for me the past 10 months...  I also use a reclining chair for rest and sleep.  How are you managing the pain?  Icing?  Rx or over-the-counter medication?  
  • Posted

Sue, Do not panic.  Your total recovery and rehab will take more than 7 weeks.  You will return to work WITH (temporary) work restrictions.  Your employer will need to comply with the (temporary) work restrictions...it's just the way it goes under the circumstance of your injury and recovery.  Keep communication open between you, your employer, and your doctor and recovery/rehab team.  Try to remain upbeat, focus on your recovery and rehab.  Be polite and work with your employer as best as you can.  If you return to work with temp restrictions and find that you are unable to perform your work despite the restrictions discuss with your doctor the next step and then discuss with your employer.  Keep your chin up, you will recover, and you will remain employed.  Good luck!   

• Posted

I am panicking a bit, I spoke to my shift leader when I dropped my last sick note off and she did say she was concerned it was  full on Christmas period with lots of heavy goods ,she said she would decrease my hours for a while, the problem is I had a major ( this was a large one ) incisional hernia operation in July. I was recovering  from that and was due back to work a couple of weeks,   then I broke my shoulder . and last November I had an emergency bowel operation my bowel was strangled with adhesions so I had last Christmas off work, I push myself and went back to work too early which may of caused the incisional hernia (this is in other forum) so I felt guilty I picked a hospital that could do this operation quickly so I could be well and working over the Christmas  period I was beginning to feel a bit better when this happened if I go back to early and get sick or hurt my shoulder as the work is repetitive I will get a warning , I will probably get one anyway . I don't normally have any time off sick lol but three major things in a row all very painful, its taken it out off me emotionally and physically

• Posted

Stuff happens.  It just happens.  Your health comes first.  Your employer cannot fire you.  Talk to the HR Dept.  BTW, where do you live?  Are you on medical leave or using FMLA?  Short-term disability?
    • Posted

Long-term disability??  You cannot receive a "warning" because of your medical condition.  

• Posted

we haven't got a HR I live in Somerset  and yes they can its is their policy I have a doctors sick note, so most likely I will get a warning on my records as they will treat my time off sick this time as two different things which it is, I don't know what FMLA  is and if this is some sort of benefit I know people who are on universal credit and PIP which has been rolled out in our area and has cause people to despair that why I am so worried as I know how things can unfold,

• Posted

I have just realised you are from USA things are different here UK
    • Posted

Well, that stinks.  Do your best to keep communicating with your employer and your doctor.  YOUR HEALTH is very important.  You will find the balance.  You have had a rough go.  Do not give up.  Take it one step at a time.  It's temporary.  You will recover from all of it.  I live in the USA.  FMLA Family Medical Leave Act is federal protection in the USA from employer retaliation or termination due to a serious medical condition.  It saves your job, etc., etc.,  You are not paid unless you have sick time while on FMLA or a person could use short-term disability or long-term disability and you have paid into the disability categories.  In the USA, employers also have separate medical leave due to serious condition.  Last Jan-April I used 12 weeks of FMLA for injury/surgery/rehab without pay.  I returned to work while continuing rehabbing with a physical therapist after work.  The PT ripped one of my repairs off its anchors.  I had to go out on medical leave without pay AGAIN June 1.  I was not protected by FMLA, but as a teacher, the school went into summer recess the third week in June, and I rehabbed over the summer.  I returned to work August 28th.  Lots to think about but try not to panic.  Take it one step at a time.  Keep your chin up you need to focus on your rehab.  Fretting/anxiety may delay your rehab progress.  Sometimes we just have to trust and have faith that it will work out favorably.  Communicate with your employer - trust and faith - rehab and keep thinking positive.  You will be okay.

• Posted

Thank you henpen I wish you all the best for you recovery I will try and stay positive sue
  • Posted

You’ll do a lot more damage with the lifting. I thought I had a neck and clavical nerve damage thing going on for months. I had started a part time job at Tractor Supply helping at check out. Lifting and scanning heavy items made my pain unmanageable. Finally got an Ortho doctor to order an MRI. My problems: 2 Labral tears, 2 bicep tears and 2 tears under my arm pit. Now, 12 weeks post op: 80% use of my arm with an Arthrex Speed Bridge implant. I asked for a stronger steroid pack recently. Wow. Works wonders. Arm getting stronger. Now, for you.... shoulders really take a long time to heal. Really long. Physical Therapy for me only set me back. I did my own. Used ice and warm showers, alternating. I do have extensive nerve damage but that could be due to my neck surgeries. I know you need to work. It’s a catch 22. Employers can be unforgiving and uncaring. Good luck. Pushing yourself might lead to major surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Naynay warm showers do help, I will have see in the next week if to go back or not ,  if I do go back I must stay back  I think lots  of absents from work is worse than a long one.

My arm is so weak, I can just about lift it about a foot from my body its a strange feeling.

I can lift it with my good arm, which I am doing as directed  but it hurts all-day after exercise . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.