Fracture hurting much more 3 days after accident?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi, I broke my ankle 3 days ago. I've woken up this morning in agony. It feels like cast is pressing on my ankle bones. Is this normal? Don't go back to fracture clinic for another 4 day's. Is it 6 weeks of this....arms, hands and my good leg aching with trying to use these crutches! Fed up already! Can anyone give me advice? Thanks

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam

I would expect pain and make sure you keep dosed up with painkillers, but if you think it's the cast itself that's making the pain worse then I'd say go back to hospital ASAP.

• Posted

Thanks Rachel, I do feel like the cast is rubbing my ankle. .I'll ring and see if I can be checked. The pain relief is good but has side effects. ..as you probably know. Thanks for advice again.
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I still wake up with my ankle aching, chances are you've moved round in the night. Keep the foot up higher than your body for a good hour, if your cast still feels tight or that it's pressing or rubbing on the bones phone fracture clinic or A&E for advice. I had to have a cast changed as it was rubbing on my heal.

Yes your arms, hands wrists and other leg will ache due to using them in a different way, that soon eases. Have you put something over the handles of your crutches to cushion them? If not you'll end up with blisters on your palms.

How long it takes to heal depends on the type of fracture, your age and fitness and what you do. If your told no weight bearing then do so. I've a broken fibula (right on the ankle joint) and fifth metatarsal (the second had to have a screw put in it two weeks after the initial fracture) so ended up eight weeks in a cast, I'm now in an air cast for walking 2 weeks (not yet full weight bearing, but can at least remove it to sleep, wash etc.) and go back in two weeks when fingers crossed I'll move on to using a rigid shoe for about two weeks.

Find something to keep you occupied, I've read books, kept up to date on my tablet and done loads of knitting and crotchet. TV and films got boring after a while and whilst the weather's nice I can at least sit outside with a book etc.

Hope you feel better soon and that fracture heals fast.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, I have also broken my fibula. I have been resting as they told me not to put any weight on it but this morning I feel as though the cast is rubbing my ankle bone. I will phone the hospital and ask there advice as I don't go to the fracture clinic until Tuesday. I will get my hubby to pad the handles on the crutches today. Find it so difficult using them too. I'm going to ask the clinic if I can have a boot...don't know if it's suitable but I'll ask anyway. Think I will get my knitting needles out ...need to do something. I normally never sit down...working and a family to see to so it's driving me nuts not being able to do anything. I do hope you make a full recovery Sue. Thanks again.

Pam

• Posted

Just to let you know. I've been back to the hospital, they've taken the cast off and re done it. My foot was turned in slightly so it's been done properly now and a new cast and X ray done...feels so much better than it did. Thanks guys for your advice.

Pam

• Posted

Pam, Glad you got it sorted, get those knitting needles out, if you want ideas check out revelry - lots of free patterns as well as paid for, there's also a knitting/crochet and natter forum called knitting paradise or op for short. When I'm awake in the night it's great to chat to others on both this and the other forum. I've been knitting for my grandchildren so at least I've got something productive done.

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Sue, I'm sure I'll be able to get into doing things once this ankle settles a little. Hopefully we'll be having some good weather so should be able to enjoy that fingers crossed. Hope you make a full recovery soon.

Pam

• Posted

Hi, definitely go back to plaster room to get checked. I'm on my 3rd cast and into week 9. Had last one fitted Thursday but too tight on ankle and rubbing on toes so rang and went back today to have another fitted today. They do 'bed in' a bit after a few days but shouldn't be causing extra pain I would say.
    • Posted

Hi, I had a plaster blister when they took the cast off this morning. New plaster feels a little better but see what the clinic says on Tuesday when they put another one on. How long are they on for? Thanks

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam(?),

Quick answer is elevate the foot. Higher than heart.

What kinda cast is it?

Do you have to go vertical (stand up)?

Where are you?

What kinda break is it?

How do you tollerate pain pills & what you taking?

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I've been elevating my foot as much as i can.

It's plaster on the back and bandage the rest. Going to hospital Tues to have the full plaster cast put on.

It's my Fibula that's broken.

I'm resting a lot.

I have 30/500 Co codamol ...can't take anti inflammatries because of my stomach. Thanks....Pam

• Posted

Hi All,

It's nearly 3 week's since I broke my ankle. I go back to hospital on Tues to see Dr.. think I may need a new cast as it's feeling loose on my leg. I'm getting shooting pains in my ankle the past couple of days..is this normal? As my fracture is unstable I can't weight bear for another 4 weeks and am wondering if I'll still gave to use crutches with the boot. Also how long until I can drive again?

Thanks Pamela.

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

It's common for a cast to become loose after a few weeks, normally because the swelling has gone down. I had this happen, phoned fracture clinic for advice and they got me in the next day and changed it. I've had shooting pains in both breaks whenever I knock it, roll over in bed etc. as you're back in on Tuesday mention it, and the cast to your Dr. You'll have crutches till you're fully weight bearing and can manage without them, I'm week 12, week 4 with a boot not fully weight bearing, but getting there and still using them. You can't drive till you are fully weight bearing, for me as it's the foot I use to brake it's till I can do an emergency stop without pain, or so my insurance company told me.

I too am back in on Tuesday, I'll see if I'm to come out of the boot and move on to a solid shoe, I've had a screw put in the 5th metatarsal which will have to come out, so might get an idea when that will be, I can feel the end under the skin which makes it sore.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply. I will mention about that to the Dr tomorrow. .think I will definitely be getting a new cast as my foot is loose also.I didn't realise it can take so long to weight bear again...its my right ankle that's broken so it's going to be a while before i can drive then. I bet yr foot is sore with the screw. So is that more surgery for you? It's a long slow job recovering from these injuries

• Posted

Oops. .my message went before I'd finished. Good luck tomorrow and hopefully a new cast will support my ankle better.

Thanks

Regards

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam,

Yes I'll have to have more surgery, though it might be done under local rather than general anaesthetic, must say as they use a nerve block best surgery I've ever woken up from, no pain for hours after. Think I might have trouble wearing shoes till it's taken out as it rubs against things even now.

Healing takes time, there's a fine line between pushing yourself to get back to normal and doing so much that it inhibits healing or makes the injury worse. Your ankle will tell you when it's done enough.

Think this is the longest I've not driven for, my husband has now gone from referring to our car as his (it's actually my car), feels like forever, so frustrating when there's a car parked on the drive and I have to get a taxi to the hospital.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow, think you'll feel better in a new cast.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Pam

Hope everything went well for you today, mine was a bit iffy, although the ankle looks like it's healing well, the 5th metatarsal hasn't improved since the last time. I was expecting to go into a hard shoe for two weeks, instead I'm to carry on with the air cast and only gently move into using the shoe, indoors only over the next six weeks, I'm also to start physiotherapy as I've damage to tendons.

Unfortunately they went to fit me for a shoe only to find they didn't have any my size, so I'm to try using my scholl sandals instead.

Fingers crossed when I go back in six weeks it will show signs of healing.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Oh dear...it's going to be a long job for you isn't it...I expect yr disappointed. Can you move around the house now? It must feel strange walking on your foot again.

The Consultant said I now don't need surgery (which was a huge relief) Another 4 weeks in plaster still no weight bearing and all being well the cast will come off and I will have a boot for a further 4-6 weeks.. . So can't wait to be able to do things in the house. Hubby and son's try their best but I'm learning to keep smiling when it's not done the way I do things haha.

Keep in touch and hope things keep improving.

Pam

• Posted

I've managed to move round the house better once I had the boot, just have to be careful that I don't stand for too long. I hadn't realised how swollen the foot is, or that it's still bruised till the consultant said. Glad you don't need the surgery, fingers crossed you heal faster than I have.

Sue

• Posted

Had my first physio today, was congratulated for having exercised it in the bath, tendons are a little stiff but no where near as bad as she was expecting, so good in fact that she's already put me on the next stage of exercises.
    • Posted

Hi,

I went back to the hospital yesterday as I felt dreadful with the cast. May sound silly but it was like clostrofobia. Anyway Dr was very understanding and said I'm not the first one feeling like that in a cast. They took it off and X rayed my ankle and it's healed enough to use a boot and crutches. The releif is amazing. .have to sleep in my boot but i can now sleep properly. I'll be in the boot for 6 more weeks but the nervous feeling I've had for the past 4 weeks in the cast have now gone thank goodness. I'm so pleased your physio is going okay. ..can't wait to be up to that stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.