Fracture hurting much more 3 days after accident?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi, I broke my ankle 3 days ago. I've woken up this morning in agony. It feels like cast is pressing on my ankle bones. Is this normal? Don't go back to fracture clinic for another 4 day's. Is it 6 weeks of this....arms, hands and my good leg aching with trying to use these crutches! Fed up already! Can anyone give me advice? Thanks

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

I was so miserable in my cast. It felt really tight almost like it was rubbing my skin. I went into my Ortho and they sawed a split in my cast on top of my foot then pulled it apart a little to relive the pressure. It did help, but for me the cast has been the hardest part of my recovery so far. Good luck I'm in a boot now, it does get easier, as does walking on crutches. I also rented a wheelchair to use sometimes instead of crutches.

• Posted

I was also miserable in my cast after an ankle fracture (fibula) that did not require surgery.  I finally got the cast removed  four days ago after six weeks.   I was given a walking boot that  my ortho said I would be able to put weight on after a few days, but it’s still too painful.  I swell up each day like a balloon.  My hamstring is so tight and painful that I wouldn’t be able to put foot straight down anyway.  I can move my toes forward and back and also in circular motions.  I’m just wondering if it’s normal that I’m not able to put weight on it yet.  Also, does anyone know if an epsom salt foot bath will help swelling?  I elevate and ice it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
  • Posted

I’m 5 weeks in with my fibreglass cast and it has got easier but I will be so glad to get it removed on Monday.  I have been managing to get out and about a bit, have taken the bus a couple of times to do the school run when hubby has been unavailable and have been walking my dog daily, not an easy feat when on crutches!  Its the crutches that I have struggled with the most, I wish I had brought some foam grips for the handles now as they really do dig in your hand, I’ve tried wrapping socks around them but they only provide slight releif, my hands are still really sore. I tried going for a walk without the crutches on Wednesday but my leg became painful and ached for hours afterwards so I’m back on the crutches when going out, I don’t use them at home.  I am just hoping and praying that the bone has healed as I have not kept off the affected leg as much as I should, it’s difficult when you have a family and a dog to tend to, I’ll be devastated if I have to keep the cast for longer, it’s only the fact that it’s coming off soon which has enabled me to cope.  

Hope everyone else is managing ok xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah, hopefully you are coming to the end of your journey and you’ll be without the cast come Monday! I’m counting down the days just to get mine changed lol! I’ve not had to use the crutches too much yet as I’ve only been going from bed/sofa to bathroom. I’m being very good at resting my leg as I don’t feel secure in the backslab at all. Added bonus I have now is I keep getting stinging sensations where the incisions are - ouchy! I’ve also been getting a bizarre feeling that my leg is wet. Like water dripping down it. My cast isn’t wet so I’ve put it down to nerve sensations. It is the strangest thing! 
    • Posted

Hi Heather

Only one more day until you get your cast changed smile  I know what you about mean about the wet feeling, I had that too, I thought I must be sweating which I thought odd as I didn’t think your legs could sweat!  Glad to hear that your a little more pain free, you will feel better once your cast is changed, fibreglass ones are much better and lighter.  Mine felt a bit weird when I initially had it fitted, I think because like you, my  backstab had become loose and the new one was a snug fit, my leg was a bit sore at first but settled down after a few days.  I didn’t have surgery but my son did when he broke his wrist earlier this year and he said it didn’t hurt a bit, just felt strange.

i had my cast removed yesterday, my leg felt really strange, like it wasn’t mine, it didn’t look great either, it was half the size of my good leg, like a dolls leg apart from the mass of dark hair that covered it, which I didn’t expect either as I am fair!  I am now in a boot which I must say is REALLY comfy, (wouldnt mind another to match for the winter, haha), and some new crutches which are so much better than my old ones, apparently the ones I’d been given originally where for someone much taller, 6ft plus, I am 5ft 3 so it’s no wonder that I had struggled so much, and the handles on these new ones are much better too.  I have been told I will need the boot for up to 6 weeks but have been given an exercise sheet to help strengthen my leg and to go back in 6 weeks if needed, I didn’t get an X-ray which surprised me but the consultant was happy with the look and feel of my leg so said I didn’t need one. I came home and took my dog for a mile and a half walk which was amazing, and only needed one crutch :-) My leg has become sore and achey again but I was told to expect this and to keep,with the pain killers and exercises.  It was so nice to sleep without a cast and can’t wait to have a bath, I really want to shave my leg but was told to wait a few days as the skin is very dry and sensitive, so just plenty of moisturizer for now.

i hope you are doing ok, it’s awful when you can’t do anything but hopefully you will be better once your cast is changed. I’m sure with a broken tibia and fibula you will be NWB for some time but crutches can help you get out and about, make sure you have a good pair and that they are sized correctly, they do take some getting used to but well worth the effort. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Sara xx

• Posted

Wow Sara that is amazing news!! You must feel like you have a new found sense of freedom! Have you to gradually go without crutches and the boot over the 6 weeks or explicitly in the boot for 6? I’ve ordered myself some pads for my crutches in anticipation for longer trips with my new fancy fibreglass cast smile hopefully this will spare my hands from getting too sore. I’m nervous about tomorrow with regards to getting the stitches out but excited at the same time as it’s progress. I think it’s a fear of the unknown as I have no idea what it looks like under there. I’ve not taken any painkillers for about 10 days now but I’m going to take a couple before my appointment tomorrow, just to take the edge off the pulling and prodding. I’ll keep you posted on how I go 👍🏼 

Enjoy your freedom (and your bath lol!) x

• Posted

Hi sara!

Good news at the hospital today. Stitches are out - it wasn’t painful having them out, a bit of tugging and a wee sting but nothing unbearable. It was more stingy afterwards to be honest (especially when the doc stuck his finger in my wound!) got an x-ray and everything is healing well. Got to see my plate and all 7 screws which was bizarre. Doc is happy with the progress so new cast on (purple and sparkly!). To keep this one on for 4 weeks NWB and back for another x-ray. If it looks good then I may get a boot to start walking. Lighter cast feels so much better already, even though it’s sore and stingy from all the prodding and poking smile

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I’m glad it all went well with your appointment, the X-rays are quite fascinating to see?  How is your leg today, it is better with a cast but I know I was a bit sore too for a few days after the changeover from the PoP to the fibreglass one.  Sparkly purple sounds lovely, I had a light blue one, which I liked but it did show the dirt a bit.  Four weeks isn’t too long, it does soon pass.  Have you got a waterproof cover, I can’t recommend the limbo ones highly enough, and I also bought a stool for the shower which made life a lot easier.

I am loving my boot, I did the school run this morning, (on the bus), then went grocery shopping, I’ve also managed a 2 mile walk with my dog and mowed my lawns, I think I overdid it though as my leg has ached terribly since!  I’ll definately have an easier day tomorrow, I am trying to walk around the house without the boot but I feel really unsteady but I know I have to keep at it to rebuild the muscle, 

I hope you have had a good day 😁

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I stepped the wrong way Friday twisting my ankle resulting in my foot going the opposite direction from my leg. 

I had surgery Saturday, tomorrow the stitches come out. NWB for six weeks. Can you give me more of an idea how the pain is from week to week? I was advised to get a walker it works well. Much easier than crutches. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Alison, welcome to the club no-one wants to join sad I found the pain definitely got better by the day. The first 2 weeks are probably the hardest and most painful. After that it does settle down and it’s just hassle of the cast to deal with. I found the day i got my stitches out and the day after it was painful again. I’m guessing it’s all the prodding and poking they do. You may experience nerve sensations of dripping water or electric shocks over the next few weeks. This is totally normal! I got my cast off 4 weeks ago and just gradually weaning myself off the crutches. It’s still stiff and achy but getting there. If you have any other questions please just ask smile 

Good luck tomorrow! 

• Posted

Thanks Heather! You must be so happy to be that far along in your healing process. How did you get hurt? 

With the opioid epidemic the dr. Does not want to prescribe many meds so I only got a weeks worth. I’m worried it won’t be enough. I wake up in the middle of the night and it is excruciating! But if it gets better by the day maybe I won’t need them after 1 week. I have a high pain tolerance.

• Posted

It’s nice to know I’m coming through the other side however, still feel like I have a long way to go. I done mine playing netball. My legs got tangled with another girl and I landed funny with all my weight going on my leg. The crack was horrendous! I have a pretty high pain threshold and wary of taking painkillers so I only took them for the first 3 days and then the day of my appointment to get my stitches out. I didn’t take any again until the day I got my cast off. The pain that night was the worst I have had since I done it! Hopefully your appointment goes easy today smile
  • Posted

I fractured my fibula (at ankle) two weeks ago.  I have a cast that I am not supposed to bear weight on.  I have doctor appt in two weeks to remove cast and x-ray to check progress.  My question is if it’s normal to feel sick (feels like motion sickness) after I have been up for an hour or less.  When I go back to bed, my ankle feels extremely tight and I have to ice  (on top of cast) and ekevate it.  Eventually, the sick feeling subsides and so does the tightness.  Anyone experience this?
    • Posted

Yes! I was nauseated for the first 3 weeks or so. Got nausea meds from the dr and it really helped. Your swelling while up if also perfectly normal. The first 4 weeks you should have your ankle up above your heart most of the time. 

?Did you have surgery? I did. I got my stitches out at 2 weeks and they put me in a boot and crutches. I'm at 6 weeks now and partial weight bearing in the boot with the crutches. Progressing well now, just cant wait to be rid of the boot in another 3-4 weeks!

• Posted

Thanks so much, Tricia.  I have been trying to find info on this, to no avail.  I did not have surgery.  I didn’t feel sick till just recently.  I had no idea how miserable being in a cast can be! I fell on the stairs and am now scared to death to have to go up or down them.  I ditched my crutches and use a scooter now.  I crawl up/down the stairs - it’s closer if I fall!  LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.