Fracture still visible and asked to walk without crutches.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Fresh out of cast 3 days after 6 weeks of a cast. Now the Dr asking me to walk without a crutch. Bottom of foot feels like it is being stabbed when any pressure is applied. My foot is extremely tight and my ankle is very swollen. Not to mention the fracture site is extremely sore. I tried to walk but am physically unable at this time.  The pain is too much. 

Should I stay off of it or work it as much as possible? I'm worried I will rebreak the bone and that is my biggest worry.  Should I be concerned?? 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

You should go at your own pace. Everything you describe is normal. Work slowly, two crutches, putting some partial weight on it.  It will start to strengthen the more you do this, and then you can practice putting more weight on it. You will not break it by doing this, the only thing working against you now is pain. It took me about 3-4 weeks to stop using the crutches doing this, and my doctor said the same thing, dump the crutches, just start walking. They are funny, lol I'd like to see them try. Go slow, and you will get to where you need to be sooner than you think. I'm 5 months post surgery, and my ankle is still sore and swells. Practice, practice, and yes it's going to really hurt for awhile. Good luck!

• Posted

From what I learned today:

I just had my cast removed (after 6 weeks) and put in a boot. I’m on no weight bearing- the fractured bone has not completely healed. My doc told me that some folks think that the metal will hold the weight before bone is healed, and that’s not true. However the ability to start walking is very particular to the the type of injury was had by the patient. I will need physio before I can even consider doing any solo walking. 

Good luck and never be afraid to ask specific and detailed questions to your doc. Or get a second opinion if you believe you’re not convinced. 

Missy

• Posted

Actually doctors have very, very different points of view on this, and some people are told to put weight on it  2-3 weeks out. It's very common now.  I'm 5 months out, been on the forum since surgery, and at first I was shocked to read it, but it's very true, the docs don't always ageee. 

• Posted

And just from my experience with physical therapy, it's a matter of moving the ankle, little exercises. It didn't help me so much, what helped was pushing through the pain a bit walking, which naturally increased range of motion. Good luck to all!

• Posted

Thank you for replying back. I'm going for it and am applying pressure. It feels strange but I will push through it

Thanks!!

• Posted

I guess I would be very skeptical of a doctor who wanted ME to walk with an ankle that was still fractured. I previously fractured my leg, and was told not to walk unless the fracture was healed. But all docs like all patients are different. 
    • Posted

No it's myfibula that's fractured. Its split down the middle. I attached a picture of the xray if you want to take a look. That's why I am hesitant. I'm putting pressure on it now but I am worried. Take a look at the xray attached on the initial post

• Posted

I'm not arguing, lol. When I first read people walking that soon I was horrified, then I started reading all the articles on line. Seems the advice varies greatly. When I was finally told to walk, my doc said he thought I was about 90% healed based on CT, but it sure wasn't a few weeks like some. The people that did walk sooner seemed to have good outcomes.

• Posted

It sucks I know. I would walk a few feet away from couch then go back lol. Once you really start, you feel motivated to keep trying.
    • Posted

Yesterday I was really working it. I'll be doing the same today. I reallly do appreciate your advice. I'm glad forums like this exist. Thank you!

• Posted

Awesome! Helped me too when I first broke fibula and beyond. Take care. smile
    • Posted

Forgot to tell you, my fracture was still visible for 14 weeks, they could see the healing on the way, but yep it went slow for me.
  • Posted

Good morning. I had a bimollar ankle fracture on my right foot back in January 2018. After surgery was in the boot for two months-no weight bearing . Was told on March 26 after viewing x-ray that everything was fine, out on my trainers and walk. Like got forth and walk. Waited one day and tried couldn't even get shoe on. Stood up to walk annnnd nothing happened. I was so mystified. They more I tried the less happened. When I went to the PT she had to remind me that you don't just walk. You have to literally learn how to all over again. It's been six months now-just beginning to move like I used to. Lots of work and patience ahead. Do your exercises daily and listen to your body. It smarter and will protect you from you. Blessings always! 😇

• Posted

How did you start was until you meet with Physical Therapy to do any weight bearing to walk in the boot? Just curious. I had my cast removed Sept 27th and was given a walking boot with instructions by the doc to do weight bearing as needed with the boot on. I attempted to stand but my foot cant even go flat in the boot! I am discouraged but want to walk soon too
    • Posted

So mine was removed the 26th. The dr told me to lose the crutches and start walking but I cant even do it. I tried but it is just little too painful. Right now I can put pressure on it, but its probably 25 % it feels like it willtake me a full week or two to put full pressure
    • Posted

Same. I tried but my foot is too tight and I put my foot flat in the boot to start walking!
    • Posted

Hi I didn't have physical therapy first, just started. I was exactly like you, I told my doc I could not walk in the boot because I couldn't get my foot to the bottom, my ankle was so swollen. Well, I could actually, I just wasn't pushing through the pain enough to bend it. I know it seems impossible, but if you push down and bend it, even though it hurts, you are going to gain that range of motion. Push and bend, real hard to do, but that's what I did. After only a few days in the boot is when I started walking only at home a little without it. Just went real slow.

• Posted

Aww..thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot. Did you use crutches to walk around in the boot? What did you use for pain meds?
    • Posted

I did use the crutches first, then in just a few days one crutch, then no crutch boot on. Then soon crutches again no boot, then within a few weeks no crutches. It did hurt for sure, still hurts some. I do remember thinking though, how can anyone walk in this boot when I couldn't get my foot down, push, lol! At that point I only used ibuprofen. 

• Posted

I am going to try to push and put it down sometime today. I have my foot out and icing the swelling...it doesn't hurt when I have it elevated. I still use oxy to sleep. I use just generic aspirin for the general pain.

• Posted

Yeah I used a narcotic here and there for 8 weeks, damn thing really just wouldn't stop hurting. 

• Posted

Lucky you, my doctors only gave me Naproxin! It did nothing for me lol
    • Posted

Uh yeah, that's nuts! I had to fight for a prescription at first, it was ridiculous. Because of all these new laws, people are suffering. I switched docs because of it, we should not have to fight. I still have about 20 pills left from my prescription in May. You poor thing, I tried naproxen, no not real effective!

• Posted

Hi! I did no weight bearing until I went to the PT in early April. She gave me about 20-30 exercises to do at home. I was seeing her twice weekly and I credit her aggressive approach with having me on my feet with a walker by May. Mid May, I stopped using the walker. Used a cane sporadically until the second week in Sept. Back at work full time since Aug. Getting back to ok daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.