Fractured 5th metatorsol?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 

I hope someone can help and advise me.  In July, I remember going over on my right foot rather badly (I wasn't even wearing high heels!).  Since then, the middle side of my right foot has been painful and ached when I do a lot of walking.  I've tried ice packs and painkillers etc but it just won't heal.  I've had an MRI scan and I see the consultant on 14th November for the results. He said I could have fractured my 5th metatorsol but surely I wouldn't be able to walk if this is the case?

I'm now experiencing pain on the top of the same foot and around the arch. Does anyone know why I'm getting this pain?

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Having had a few fractured metatarsals  it certainly is possible to walk on a fracture. However it will be painful. Not all fractures are displaced ie out of alignment, and in the foot the other metarsals act as a splint. Good luck with the results. It can take up to 12 to 14 weeks for an untreated fractured metarsal to heal. Oh an anti imflammatory tablets such as ibrupron can slow healing of any bone injury. 
    • Posted

Thanks Carole.

How did the doctor treat your fracture? I've read that some people wear a special boot. If I had to wear this boot would I still be able to work?  

Thanks again,

Elaine.

• Posted

The first fracture I was put in a robo boot, when I came out of that the other foot fractured due to me over compensating, so be careful. I actually wore my cycling shoes which Don,t bend for the second fracture, and also as the doc took so long to report on MRI. I was given an aircast boot eventually. You can work whilst wearing a boot as pain will almost go whilst wearing it. They are just cumbersome too be honest. However wait and see what the MRI says. I found that as long as I didn,t wear soft shoes like trainers and wore shoes with a solid sole I was more comfortable. Even the blooming thick pile carpet hurt, although I could walk on the kitchen floor with less pain. If it hurts when you push over the bone it properly. Is fractured, if not it maybe that you have torn a tendon. Hope that helps. Icing won,t help by the way. Inflammation helps healing if fractured
    • Posted

I find I'm a bit better when I wear trainers but they are new and quite stiff so support my foot well.  My work shoes which are flat shoes don't help at all and I nearly crawl out of work after a 7 hour shift on my feet!  I've been putting up with this since July so the appointment next week can't come soon enough for me.  Just wish I knew for certain if it's a fracture.  The aching and soreness on the top of my foot has just started, don't know what has caused it?

Thanks for all the info and advice.  I will keep you informed.

Elaine.

• Posted

Hope all goes ok. It will get better although it seems to go on for ever. Then all of a sudden you will turn a corner. X
    • Posted

Hi Carole,

Just a quick update for you.  I saw the Consultant today and apparently I have tondonitis!!  I'm pleased I've not fractured anything but this tendonitis has plagued me since July.  I thought he may suggest a cortisone injection but it makes it worse according to the Consultant.  So I'm now being referred to physiotherapy!  I think it's going to be a very long drawn out process to get me right again sad

• Posted

Ah well at least you know what your dealing with now. Hope it all gets better soon for you. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.