fractured ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a fracture of my fibula which is not displaced. I did not need surgery or cast but was given a moon boot to wear for 6 weeks. This is my third week and I've noticed that the leg that has the fractured ankle is considerably thinner than my other. Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Sorry to hear about your break.

Yes it is normal unfortunately, it’s because you haven’t been using the muscles in your legs. Physio certainlywill be able to help with this. 

I would always say though if you are unsure about anything, I would definitely run it past your dr to double check.

Hope things go well for you. Claire. Xx

• Posted

Hi Claire, thanks for your reply.

I'm not having any follow up from fracture clinic or physio sad . I was just concerned as it's only been on 3 weeks and I have been mobilising. I'll make an appointment with my GP xx

• Posted

Are you in the UK and using the virtual fracture clinic? Your break sounds similar to mine (I am Weber A - stable - no surgery/no displacement). Are you WBAT or NWB? You'll find once you are out of the boot you can build it back up pretty fast with the right exercises. I can tell you what my physiotherapist has me doing since we sound similar, I bet it could help you (I'm 11 weeks out from my break, 5 weeks out of the boot now - calf size is almost back to normal and I had considerable wasting as  I was NWB for 4 weeks).

• Posted

Yeah I would make an appointment then, if you live in the uk ask him/her to refer you to a Physio. You would be surprised how quickly muscle wastage occurs! Let us know how you get on. Claire. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.