Fractured ankle

Posted , 10 users are following.

i broke my ankle three weeks ago in three places. had a rod plates and screws in to fix it.

the problem l have is several times a day my calf ankle and foot swells so badly the pain is excruciating. it feels like my foot is going to burst out the cast. its almost like a severe burning sensation. the top of my foot near my toes become swollen sore to the touch and dark in colour, this intense squeezing lasts for hours only pain killers help they take the edge off but l can still feel this severe crushing burning sensation,

basically l need reasurring this is normal and if i have to put up with this pain because its unbearable at times. ive tried everything. i just want to rip the plaster off as l feel the crushing will then stop

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

thanks for everyones experiences this is so comforting to me you wouldnt believe,

i went back to the hospital today because l had literally 5 hours last night of the most excruciating pain no pain killer was touching it. i think l flaked out in the end.

they took my plaster off. the swelling is bad and my small toe is a sorry sight. but they dont seem too worried, they are concerned about DVT so l have to watch out for symptoms.

they say the cast could have been way too tight. they have replaced it with a soft cast which is much more comfortable especially with the swelling. unfortunately it has little support so l have to be extra careful. they cannot fit a air boot because of the extent of the break .

fingers crossed they pain eases now.

• Posted

wow good luck... well I'm 4 months into this and walking pretty well. Sleeping is still a little tricky because my ankle bone is sore and if it bangs with my other ankle bone it hurts and wakes me up. So last friday I had incredible pain under my rib......went to ER and after a lot of tests they discovered I have 2 fractured ribs that I have no clue what I did. I must have banged something because I had a big black and blue on my boob. So now I'm almost recovered from my ankle and now I have to deal with this which means arranging all my pillows so my ankles don't hit and also so I don't put too much pressure on my rib. The rib is almost the same recovery as ankle.... you think you're getting better then regress and it hurts like hell!

• Posted

my goodness. it seems never ending doesnt it.

hope you recover soon.

simple things annoy me too like being able to make a coffee but not be able to take it to the sofa myself and relax. its so friggin frustrating.

im also struggling with the shower, no matter how l cover the plaster it still manages to get wet lol

• Posted

After I took first shower I conceded that I wasn't going to take a shower until I had all that stuff off. I got very good at washing myself down with wash towels. I wasn't taking any chances of falling.. As far as washing my hair...i rolled the wheelchair up to the sink sideways..locked it and put my bad leg knee on it to balance and I was good to go. Yes it was frustrating ..multitasking even little things was not possible...every thing annoyed me too. I had a rough2 years..I got colon cancer and that was taken care of but blood tests showed I had it somewhere else. It was in my lung and bone,,so I had 2 primaries. I went thru immunotherapy and aggressive radiation and I just went into remission . Then I misjudged last step on boat , went flying and broke my ankle,, I'm almsot recovered from that and now fractured ribs and have no clue what I did.. I immediately sent tests to my cancer radiologist to make sure it wasn't in my bone and he said no TG I feel like I've been in a fight with Mike Tyson and each time I getup he throws another punch and knocks me down lol Not really funny but kind of unbelievable!

• Posted

you have been in the wars. but the image of you in your wheelchair washing your hair has made me laugh, sorry.

yes l'm going to stick with body washes for now at least its safer.

• Posted

yes that is a visual lol but actually keep that in mind.You can use any chair. The leg that has the broken ankle put that knee on chair and your good leg on floor, Very stable. I got tired on depending on my hub to help me.

• Posted

oh ps I use eucalyptus liquid soap and the smell s soooo calming. My friend bought it for me when I was going thru the cancer.I usually dont believe in that hokus pokus but I liked it so much I buy it all the time now. I would put the wash cloth to my nose and breath in slowly.

• Posted

Julie this might be a silly suggestion but are you elevating your leg as much as possible? I found that the only thing I could do to relieve the swelling in my foot post op was to lie down and stick my leg right up into the air...

• Posted

sorry...clearly my reply is waaaaay too late!

• Posted

do you think it makes a significant difference?

Itry to elevate as much as possible, but the week after the op whilst still in hospital they just put two pillows under me, they really didnt seem that concerned.

• Posted

I know that's what they do usually it's just two pillows. I was told though that it has to be above your heart so I didn't understand that either. I would say a little higher the better that's what I did

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.