Fractured ankle and burning

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m 64 and rolled my ankle fracturing my ankle. Dr said it is a mild fracture had cast and when it would swell the burning was horrible. After 4 weeks got a boot and when iI first step down after having foot elevated I get needle like feeling  in my heel which goes away after a few minutes.  My swelling is directly behind and below the ankle and the burning just Stinks!! I also get cramping in top of foot and from ankle straight up the side of my calf. I can even rub it and pin point the tendon that is hurting.  I have been lucky enough to Advil due pretty good but this burning and cramping sucks. Worse than the actual fracture. Any good tips on treating this burning?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Leg cramps are usually dealt with be drinking a glass of to indian tonic water that has quinine. An alternative is to take quinine tablets. If find that it is effective in minutes. Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will let you know how I progress I am getting better each day. My biggest thing now is burning under ankle bone, and learning to walk in the boot. The cramps are getting better.

• Posted

As you know a lot of what you are experiencing is due to the nerves reinventing and connecting them selves. The nerves will be irritated when you move around your foot inside boot.

my strategy was to remove my boot and compression sock several times a day and wiggle it around, massage with cream if allowed, do my exercises, then air dry my foot. I’ll also rub a drier sheet on the inside of that ugly

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestions Nancy I do massage with lotion and air my foot out. Using ace bandage at night for compression. I am getting better slow but sure. I will keep you updated.
  • Posted

Glad to hear things are progressing. Hopefully the good days will begin to outweigh the bad soon. Sometimes it isn’t always a straight path forward but needing to take a step backward or stand in place. The other thing I do is set up rewards for myself when I have to go through a difficult surgery. Small ones for getting through PT and a large one at the end. For this surgery I’m going to a Mexican all inclusive resort for a week.  I was able to put together a very cheap package. Depending on how I’m doing, I will either be able to do more or less. You can come up with rewards that would work for you. Anything to break up the feeling that this recovery is endless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.