Fractured ankle ? Hand stress fracture

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm on crutches 2.5 wks for fractured ankle, my right hand is extremely swollen and fingers won't bend properly , can you get a stress fracture from using crutches, my hand hurts more than my foot now

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Ditch the crutches, get a knee scooter. It will make life easier. Get one with a basket.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Scooter . . . rent a scooter.  Easier, safer, more comfortable and a lot more flexible.  I had one for a month and hope the person who invented it made a billion bucks on it because they deserve it!!!
  • Posted

Hello -    well, I don't know about a stress fracture but I certainly know what you mean.  I was on crutches for seven weeks following surgery for a fractured ankle and my wrists were agonising.  There were days when I didn't want to use the crutches because of the pain in my wrists.   I think it's most likely because it's a new thing for the wrist to do and of course, you do need to put your full weight on the wrist to heave yourself through the crutches as you walk - well hop !      As time goes by, I found I put less weight on the crutch and my wrists improved.

I've been walking unaided now for many weeks and still at times my wrists feel tender when I take tops of jars for instance.  Try maybe wearing wrist supports for a while.    Ridiculous I know when it's the ankle thats damaged but if it helps etc.,

Best of luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, both wrist hurt but my right hand is very very swollen, I have rheamatoid arthritis so il go to dr tomoro and get checked out just to be on the safe side
    • Posted

Hello Sabrina -     I think that's a wise move - as you say, just to be on the safe side.     I do know what you're feeling and it's very painful.    Mine has mended but if you already have an arthritic problem in that wrist, then best get it checked.      I wish you loads of luck with your rehab from the broken ankle.    I now have plates, screws and pins in mine which has healed wonderfully although very slowly.   I had no idea when I had my fall that the whole summer ahead of me was to be wasted.    But now I'm looking back on it.    

All I would say is work hard on your physio,  In my opinion, it's the answer to a quicker recovery.   I don't know how old you are but I'm 72 and only 3 months prior to breaking my ankle, I had a total hip replacement on the same leg.   So don't give up.   I'm booked to have my left hip replaced at the end of January so I've been totally determined to get pain free and mobile.

Each day is an improvement and then I seem to have a little set back but it's always when I've overdone it the previous day.   So work hard, rest, elevate and ice your ankle.    You can always have a bag of peas on your wrist at the same time !!!

• Posted

Hi Sabrina

The 1st 2 weeks on crutches are a real challenge really depressing, but it does get easier. By the end of the 6 weeks my cast felt lighter and my arms had it used to it though my hands were still sore from time to time. It's 3 1/2 weeks since the cast came off and I can walk a long way almost pain free if a bit stiff and no crutches. But do you know what the ends of my 4th and 5th  fingers are still numb and tingly. Probably trapped a nerve with all that crutching.

Good luck it will soon be better

• Posted

Sorry Sabrina I missed you had RA, you have enough to cope with without the broken ankle.
  • Posted

Hi Sabrina

Yes cruthes are a pain i was on crutches a couple weeks but then switch to a scooter they are better but expensive..i still dont know how ro use crutches right but it will get better for u and slow down and take your time...wish u the best

• Posted

I developed real problems with my hands and bought special covers for the crutch handles to minimise the pressure on my hands

I ended up with a trigger finger that was locked in the minding and swollen left hand that was only relieved with a steroid injection

I was fortunate to have a physician who only administers steroid injections as directing it to the corer position is vital

My recovery was within 24 hours

Can you get an appropriate referral to stop any further damage

Good luck. I know how awful it is to have aggravated issues on top of the original one

• Posted

KNEE WALKERS, KNEE SCOOTERS are awesome because they save out hands and upper body....back in the dark ages I used a wee chair turned backwards for months...took it to work...just saying
  • Posted

PS

I Used a ZIMMER FRAME always in the house. I also covered the handles with extra covers bought online but the frame certainly gave my hands a rest.

It's also much easier to manage in the kitchen with a frame as opposed to negotiating the use of two crutches

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.