Fractured Ankle Pain After Operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I am new to this but hope it may offer me a way to talk to people experiencing the same thing.

A week today I had a fall down my stairs resulting in a visit to A & E. I was told I had fractured my Ankle and Tibia.

The way forward was to have an operation where four pins would be put into my ankle bone. Nothing was done with the tibia as I was told the ankle repair would help heal the tibia.

A bandage was on my ankle and a boot was fitted. I was in hospital for two days after the operation 3 days in total in hospital due to the current situation with the coronavirus.

I am now at home with crutches, Painkillers and injections of thin blooders every teatime to prevent dvt.

I am non weight bearing so apart from going to the bathroom I have to have my leg elevated on pillows. My question is how high does the elevation need to be?

I am in pain and my leg is still swollen but I think the worse thing is the stiffness in my leg and finding it difficult to lift my leg of the ground because it feels so heavy. I am not a big pull taker usually cope with pain quite well so thought don't take Painkillers untill you really need them. I haven't slept for 3 nights but last night decided to take a dose of my painkiller as prescribed and had my first night's sleep.

I don't think I have ever cried so much as over the last few days as before this was active.

Any advice would be welcome as I am very much at the start of my journey with this and want to know as much as I can going forward to get to my end goal which I hope will be walking normally again. ❤️

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same as you nine monthes post opp.

Elavate above heart leval it will help..

God bless you it will get better..

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate it. Julie 🙏

• Edited

Trimalleolar fracture 02/14/2019, metal removal 03/02/2020. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. The pain, swelling and helplessness have been very depressing. I am happy to say I am doing very well and can do most of the things I did before my fall. Try to elevate and ice as much as possible. This is a slow recovery don't push yourself too much. You will get there in time. Good Luck!

• Posted

Nine months in me two breaks and dislocation..

Slill some swelling and clicks a little.

But getting there physieo got me doing two excersize that has helped.

It do improve lots at the six months time it certainly did with my case.

Wish you all best, take care.

Mark

Ps all advice is good advice.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am happy that you are on the other side of it. Its give me strength to push forward and not to loose heart. Julie x

• Edited

Hi yes I realise now after talking on the forum it won't be a quick outcome as I had hoped but I am trying my hardest to remain positive even though some days are more difficult than others. I appreciate all my conversations on this forum. I feel I can ask if I am worried about anything or just need any advice. Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.