Fractured/bruised ribs

Posted , 2 users are following.

I fractured/bruised my ribs just over four weeks ago.  Can anyone that has fractured their ribs chat to me about this ?  Ty

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have fractured ribs several times and know how very painful they can.   Take regular pain meds and keep moving.  They can take around six weeks to heal.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Can I ask you,  did the area where you fractured your ribs feel tight ?  Also I keep feeling as though I have to keep breathing deeply don't know if it's because it is making me feel anxious or if this just happens.  Did it happen to you ? Tina

• Posted

When you injured yourself you probably damaged or bruised the muscles (intercostal) in between which could be why breathing is difficult and painful. In times gone by they used to bind the chest to aid healing but this is rarely done now as it prevents you breathing properly and leaves you at risk of pneumonia and other chest infections.  If you are anxious you tend to breathe rapidly and shallow.  I'm not a doctor (I'm a nurse) but maybe you would be reassured by talking to your GP?

• Posted

Thank you Valhalla.  Very helpful.  You said that you have fractured your ribs several times.  Does this mean that once you have done it that it is easier for this to happen again ? 
    • Posted

Not necessarily, it's just that I don't have an awful lot of flesh on my chest to protect my ribs! 

• Posted

Ty.  That is what they said to me when I went to the hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.