Fractured femur

Posted , 25 users are following.

I slipped in the garden just under three weeks ago and fractured my left femur, it snapped into two pieces, half way between my hip and my knee. After dragging myself about 30 feet back into the house I was taken to hospital and the next day had a femoral nail put in it and told to start using it from the next day. After a week in hospital I was released and have been given an appointment to see the consultant towards the end of June. I was surprised that they've left me to my own devices with no real instructions on how much I should or shouldn't be doing but I am putting weight on it but not totally. I was on strong painkillers of 2x30mg codeine and 2x500mg paracetamol but stopped them yesterday as I was starting to have nightmares. There is still swelling at the top of my hip where the nail went in and I have pain there and in my knee where the screws went in but it's bearable and not half as painful as I thought it was going to be.

I just wondered if anyone else has had their fracture treated with the nail which, I have to say, is the best thing as I could have been immobile for weeks before I could even put weight on it but so far I am getting about and even managing a bit of washing up and even ironing. How long has it taken anyone to get back to normal or walk without a stick etc. Thanks for any information anyone can give.

4 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I fell and broke my femur four months ago. I am fine back at work no probs with my leg. However i just havent been feeling myself. Have been to doctors with stomach problems and vertigo. I has my bloods done and they all came back good but I am wondering if the shock and trauma could be having an adverse effect on my health. Anyone out there having such problems.

Sheena

• Posted

You have answered your own question.  We read our bodies no one else can.  Your body needs time to recover from the shock, and the trauma. Had a dr years ago who said that our bodies heal with time but also through REST ( you know OFF your feet at times in a prone position).   I know how long it has taken me to partially recover from a broken leg- a year.  
  • Posted

Hi, I'm new here. Broke both my tibia and femur on my right leg, did my surgery (IM nail implants) October 1, 2016 and till date I'm yet to start bearing full weight on the leg. I have been using crutches since December 2016 till date but I cannot fold the leg completely like the left leg or do certain movement without feeling pains on my hip and especially my knee. My orthopedic doctor doesn't ever give full details as to what is going on with me, just keeps saying I'll get better with time.

As if that isn't enough there is a certain tilt to the leg and its not as straight as the left leg (look like what you'd call a slight K-leg). The entire leg is smaller in size compared to the left leg and I'm told its lack of muscle bulk since I haven't really been bearing weight on the leg.

Oh I also fractured my right hand, had a POP on for about three months but that one is fine now (I don't feel pains unless I stress the hand.

I'd like to know... What are the chances that I'd be able to walk properly again and with full flexibility.

I'm told the reason it's taken this long is because it's a double fracture (had a floating knee) and the healing process can be slow. Please help.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I was knocked down by a power bike on the road side where I was waiting to board a bus home after work. I'm 27 years old.

• Posted

Hi Lady Blaze

I fractured my femur last December and as of today I am still using crutches. Although on the images the bone it does look healed I feel weak and unstable while walking because of the weak muscles. This is a serious injury and it does take time. I do intensive physiotherapy for the last 3 months, 3 days a week and it does help alot. Try doing exercises with weight and cycling is also helpful. Since I started to use the cycle I felt my knee flexion improved although I still have long way to go as I have reached only 80 degrees.

Roughly they are giving between 6 to 12 months for full recovery. Try physio or even gym it will make a big difference

• Posted

Thanks. I haven't really been online so I'm just seeing this. I've been doing that, I also have about 80% flexibility and yeah I get the weakness too. Although I now use a walking stick but I've still got some distance to go in the journey. I wish you quick recovery too. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Spindles, I fell of a ladder and fractured my right hip in two places, I have a screw going through the fracture. I was in hospital for ten days, this happend back in March its now July I have walking without crouches for about four weeks now. At times I do limp but not always, I am also back in the gym now which is a great help to me, I also do exercises given to by the physio people at the hospital.

Only time will tell if I am ever going to walk again properly my age is Seventy, also walk with a walking group. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

I too am 70 yo and fractured my femur. Had screws for 4 months during which I went to London & Venice and walked myself to death! 6 months after the fx I had THR, anterior. It is now 7 weeks post - off cane sometimes. Still take pain meds. Still go to physical therapy.  Good to be retired & have time for this!  Hope your fx’d hip is doing well now.  Stay off ladders! I am much more careful now even though my fall was in the house and I tripped. Somethings are just too dangerous at our age but then sometimes one just falls, so I guess it’s just roll of dice.  Best to you!

• Posted

Hello Joyce, I have been back in the gym, for the last five month now working out four days a week. I also go walking with  a group on Tuesdays, for a three mile walk in an hour. Have not used or thought about crouches for seven months now was signed off by the hospital three months ago now.

Within floor exercising I do quite a lot of Yoga too.

• Posted

I just broke my hip 2 weeks ago.. I'm only 52 I fell.. it feels like I'll never be able to walk again. it's so painful. not only that it feels as if it's not lined up right.. I hope I'm wrong, but the way I feel as if I'll never walk normal again.. I'm too young foe this.. omg I'm so depressed.... I have no insurance so I can't get physical therapy... I owe the hospital 100's of thousands for the surgery... oh well.. let me go dream of happier days....peace

• Posted

I completely understand.  When I was in rehab last year because of my broken femur I cried a lot. Remember though without pain there is no gain.  I repeated that every day, and my roommate and I prayed a lot.

Every  morning is was a monumental task to get out of bed.  Between pain, medication, and being far from home I hurt.  Try praying, talking to others around you, working with a positive note for your sake, to make yourself do the exercises, and find something to make you laugh a lot. Laughter is good medicine for healing - cartoons, movies, people. Feel sorry for those who refuse to work because you know that one day YOU WILL WALK alone, but those people who refuse to work will not walk.  I take that back some of the people who refuse will walk with a cane or walker but you my Dear Sister will walk with out aid. Now make yourself get better.  Yes it is unbelievably painful.  I am a survivor of a broken leg it is not easy.  

The hospital can help you with finances, also inquire into other ways.  You can do it.  Depression is bad - I relate.

I will pray for you.

• Posted

Hi Donna

I know exactly what you are going through....and trust me these injuries can happen to anyone. ....I am only 35. Last October I fractured my left ankle and after two months just few days before my due date for cast removal I fractured my right femoral bone and I needed surgery. I was bed ridden for months with two broken legs...I was told I need to walk and trust me walking with two broken legs was something I wish nobody. The first time I got up from bed was on the 4th day after the surgery I needed more than 20 min to move ...4 people to hold me and I managed to stand only 10 sec....I though this is it I will never walk again. It's been months since then, I still use crutches but walk. One advice just move on...move your toes, move your foot, get up a little bit of the bed. What ever it is just don't stop ...day by day you will realize that your body gets stronger and eventually it will heal.

Wish you all the best

• Posted

I broke the neck of the femor last year and continue to have a difficult time in sitting, and laying in bed.  I suggest that you get in touch with 'The Doctors' on TV  and ask for help.  I emailed them and am waiting to hear at this time.

It is an awful situation when the procedure that is necessary for your leg creates additional problems - pain, popping, grinding, and overall discomfort.  I understand.  

I don't walk with a cane and I walk alot.  My broken leg happened in June 2016.  P.T isn't your answer nor is warm water at the pool.  Perhaps for temporary relieve I suggest a good message therapist because they consecrate on the area with problems. 

• Posted

Thank you Judy judyelaine. Apparently the neck of the femur in my case was not healing so I have now had a complete hip replacement which will hopefully resolve matters!
  • Posted

I'm now 6.5 weeks post-up from having a femur placed in my leg. Immediately following surgery I began suffering severe groin pain. It has gone from a constant dull ache to now having sharp shooting pain in it and I still require a walker to get around. What could be some cause for this and shouldn't it be getting better not worse? Any recommendations as I can't bare this pain much longer?? Thank you Glenna

• Posted

Glenna,

First of all, a broken femur is horrible & the most painful thing to happen to me in my long life. I feel for you.  6.5 weeks is not that far out!  I went to inpatient rehab in a second hospital and then home in a wheelchair. I had a walker with no weight bearing.  I had very hard pt for 6 weeks 3 times a week. Then I was on a cane for about 1.5 months.  If you didn’t have these things, I am not surprised you are having pain and problems.  Don’t rush yourself!  I am now 9 weeks post hip replacement and that is hard but not half as hard as the break 7 months ago.  I promise it will heal eventually. (Mine was not aligned right and was short so we decided to fix it e THR). Take your pain meds religiously and if you don’t have them, insist on them! I had hydrocodone 10 m after my femur break taken every 4 hrs.  It was so painful. Let me know what aftercare you got & keep plugging. Best,

Joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.