Fractured fibula

Posted , 6 users are following.

I fractured my fibula on 1-16 got cast on 1-18..I’m jus wondering how do I have to wear the cast. I’m hoping at my nex appt, which will make 3 week..will I get the cast removed. I’m hoping for a walking boot. How long before I can put weight on it. I tempted now. But to afraid I’m gonna do more harm than good. Jus ready for this to be over 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was non weight bearing in a cast for six weeks, then in a boot for 4 weeks gradually began weight bearing. I know it's frustrating, but I wouldn't put weight on it until the doctor says you can. He didn't give you a timeline? I broke three bones so maybe your process will be quicker.

Good luck, it takes time but you don't want to reinjure your ankle

• Posted

Well I was in cast for two weeks, then in boot for 5 weeks. I only have 1 more week to go, before my next appointment. Hoping I can beat weight with the boot. If it's only been one month for you, then you have about two more months to go. But each person's healing process is different. The only positive thing I can say about this process, is to have patience.

• Posted

I would not put weight on it now, I would wait until your doc allows it. 
  • Posted

Hi Simone, 

Don't walk on it until you are cleared by the doctor. Definitely don't walk on the cast! Its really important that you follow the doctor's instructions to the letter as everyone is different. I was originally told I would have to be NWB for 6 weeks. It was reduced to 4 weeks due to my progress on ankle range of motion (which I worked on from just one week when I got my boot) and almost complete lack of pain. So, even though it was a walking boot I couldn't walk in it until the end of week #4. I had a stable fracture and required no surgery. The risk of walking too early in my case was due to the small chance that a non-union or displacement would result. I'm glad I followed orders even though I didn't want to wink

Hang in there!

• Posted

I fractured both my bones but normally six weeks in cast or at least six until weight bearing because it takes that long for bones to knit together. Don't do it unless doc okays, you could rebreak it or give yourself arthritis. I'm in the same boat. Sixteenth surgery, cast. So annoyed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.