Fractured fibula help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on a fractured bone "slipping out". Here's some quick facts.

1. the bone was fractured internally and doctor was not sure about surgery.

2. He told me to move my foot if I could and try to put weight on it if I was confident.

3. I have way more movement and most of the selling is down.

4. doctor at next appointment says "oh that looks good it seems to be in better alignment than last time. Try to put weight on it and if it 'slips out' we can do surgery.

My worry and confusion is that he says to put weight on it but also that it might 'slip out ' so why would he tell me to put weight on it if there's a chance of further injury?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Great question!!  Please ring your doctor or the doctor's nurse and ask that question point blank.  They will give you the best answer!!  Good luck and God Bless!!  Post again with an update when you are able!!  Take care

• Posted

Thank you for the response and advice henpen1980 the only problem is that I'm up in Canada. Though our health care is free it's absolutely terrible and there is no way the doctor would ever have extra time outside our appointments to chat. I'm trying to find friends or relatives who know anything about feet to help me now.

• Posted

Hi breaking bones wherever they are is not good but foot and hand bones are less likely to require surgery because of there healing speeds .

Walking on a fracture encourages bone healing and remodelling this is why they tell you to bear weight on it.

Slipping out means it could become misaligned, it all depends on the xray you originally had.

Also how long ago it was fractured and how old you are.

Make sure you have good supporting shoes and just be careful to start off with

• Posted

Hello, thanks for the response. So even though it's aligned better and healing there's still a chance it could slip. it just hurts a lot to put more than half my weight on it so I feel trapped by this challenge. logically it seems that if I don't put full weight it will heal and get stronger but the doctor wants me to challenge that logic right away. I guess I'll just go for it. Thank you so much for taking the time!

• Posted

No probs, try to walk more on your heel to start off this will take the pressure off your foot making it less painful but will also allow you to be mobile, icing it will help too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.