Fractured fibular / pain / going back to work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I fractured my fibular and am now in a non weightbaring cast. Thankfully didn't need surgery. However I am overweight and crutches been a nightmare so I have been weightbaring to the point of not using crutches at all (single parent and school holidays too). Today I've got quite a hot, burning, liquidy pain so am on bed rest. My other issue is in 2 weeks we go on holiday - so hoping to have cast off at week 5 instead of 6 and get a boot. How long has anyone used boot for? I'm also a paediatric nurse and will be looking to go back to work 7 weeks after break and I'm nervous. Just started a new job and still in probation so worried about having more time off but think of I can use the boot to help support my ankle it might be ok?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also fractured my fibula and did not have surgery. I was week and half in a half cast then spent 6 weeks in a boot non weight bearing. It was hell! One positive with the boot is it comes off and on for showering. Sleeping with it was the worst. Pain has been a huge thing for me over those weeks. I have been out of the boot for about 7 weeks and was told to just start walking, it was so hard, my leg had wasted away a bit and my muscle was useless. But I have been doing daily physio and although I still walk with a limp and have pain occoasionaly I am so happy to be walking. I wish you the best with returning to work, but keep in mind when the boot comes off, you wont be able to move your ankle etc as you did before the fracture. It takes time and you will be hobbling before it becomes a limp. You have to stretch and strenghten your muscles etc. I am a retired nurse and there is no way I could of gone back to work as soon as my boot came off. No way!. But your experience may be completly different. Sorry to be doom and gloom. But good luck to you. 
    • Posted

I don't think nursing has changed much with regards to physical activity! How long would you consider going back after boot off? My sick cert runs out at end of 6th week so was planning on going back 7 weeks after injury happened. Plan is to do maybe 3 short shifts a week (7.5) I've never broken a bone and it's difficult to. Plan ahead!

• Posted

Hi, after I removed my boot after 7 weeks, it was very difficult to walk.It was painful in anumber of places. I think trying to use all the muscles etc that had been unused for so long. Its amazing how much muscle wastage I had. Everything is tight and placing my foot on the floor was terrible for me. My ankle was still swollen and discolored. After a couple of hours the swelling was worse and needed to put it up. 2 weeks after boot was off and I could weight bare I was hobbling and still had pain. It was a matter of putting up with it as much as I could and doing exercises daily. Now its about 8 weeks since boot came off and I can walk distances with minimal discomfort, but still a small limp. Calf muscle is still tight and ligaments around ankle still weak apparantly. But bone healed and swelling gone. I am just happy it is pretty much over, its a nightmare thats for sure. But sorry back to your question about work, I dont think going back to work 7 weeks after injury would be a good idea. I personally could not of done that. I was still hanging on to the walls for support. But maybe I am a sook....I would see if you could get another week or two off work just so you can start doing physio and maybe build up some muscle and strength. 
  • Posted

I can understand your impatience I had surgery and was in a cast losing my mind and on crutches.. Kids, house upkeep, ect.. Nightmare right!! I got a knee walker which helped a lot with the weight of that and freed up my hands.. Even though your situation differs from mine it didn't at first.. I was injured at work and had 2 fractures ( one being my fib which in my case was able to be baring weight) and one that went unnoticed so I went back to work in a brace for 6 weeks before they found the 2nd fracture (my foot was swelling up). Off my foot into walking boot ect.. Now have had major reconstructive surgery on my foot.. Joint fusion bone grafting the whole nine yards.. With that said.. Stay off it if they tell you to.. It is no fun I completely understand but better to be safe and know you are healing than screw something up that could end up affecting you to the point of major issues.. My dr told me feet and ankles take all our weight and need to be strong and able to handle it.. When we don't let things heal as they should then we end up with big problems..

Wish you the best and hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thank you! Yes it's driving me insane being stuck indoors! I tried a wheel walker but it was lethal - my area is very uneven pavements and where there was no give in the wheels I nearly fell a few times! I'm trying to be good and not weight bare from today because as you said, our ankles are important and I definitely don't want surgery ??

• Posted

I have unlevel surface too a rocky driveway and hills 😳 My pool is down there and I have to take care of it.. So I am pretty mobile even on one foot but again still limited time and elevate in between..
  • Posted

Hi - I fractured my fibula 3 weeks ago in a waverunner mishap. I elected to remain in a cast just to make sure that I don't get a false sense of security.  Dr. wanted to put a boot on at 2 weeks.  I should get a boot this week at week 4.  Seem to be on track to no boot in 6 weeks.  He expects me to be in a boot for 2 weeks.  I also used the crutches, but recently moved to knee scooter, much much easier, but as other have said stay away from uneven pathways or you will end up over the handle bars.

I am fortunate that I have a desk job so moving around isnt that simple.  However being an active person, the restrictions are driving me nuts!.

From what I am being told, if weigtht bearing at end of week 6, thinking would be tough to resume active status in you profession at week 7.

Please be careful and head Dr's orders, non weight bearing, you certainly dont want to do further damage in the early stages.

Best of luck.

• Posted

You have some really good advice here!
  • Posted

I think you are saying, but: are you supposed to be non-weight bearing?  I have the same issue. It's hard to stay off the injury, but of course you have to. The more you can stay off the better. I didn't need surgery either, but was warned I could if I don't stay off it! I bought some ergonomic forearm crutches. They work better for me than the traditional. I am a bit over weight too. You should use your holiday to chill. And work? OMG As a nurse you will be on the move. Boot is not the answer. Try a knee scooter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.