Fractured Greater Trochanter...anyone have experience?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!! I'm kind of at a loss here so I wanted to see if anyone else out there had experience with a fracture greater trochanter. I can't even find much online about it.

I've had hip pain for about 2 and a half years now. Slowly it got gradually worse until I couldn't live with it anymore. My GP diagnosed bursitis and told me to take advil for a straight 2 weeks to nip the inflammation in the bud and the idea was it wouldn't come back. Obviously that didn't work. In the mean time I was also seeing a chiropractor who attempted to help with ultrasound, stim machine, and hot and cold therapy. None of that was helping so she ordered an xray and a MRI.

Xray showed nothing in the hip and the MRI showed bursitis, bone edema, tendinitis and other general complications. She wrote me a script for PT and I did that for almost 3 months. I also received a cortizone shot for the bursitis. My PT really thought I had a labrum problem and impingement. She highly recommended that I see an ortho and the therapy wasn't working completely. It did help a little bit. So I saw an ortho and he told me I just need to rest it. After insisting a lot that the labrum needed to be looked at, he ordered an MRI with a dye injection to get a clearer picture. Finally, that MRI showed that I had a fractured greater trochanter. There was also a fissure in the labrum and my glute minimus is 90% torn at the footprint.

The ortho's response to this MRI was to order 2 months of rest. I used a cane and crutches when I could and I had a handicap parking sticker. I have a desk job for work and my coworkers helped make sure I didn't get up a lot. I stopped all physical therapy at his direction.

I just had my follow up with the ortho after this 2 months and I feel like there has been very little improvement. I have a lot of pain in the front of the leg and a weird twitching in the muscle. The bursitis seems to have gotten better but I still do not walk correctly. Sitting a lot seems to aggravate the front of the leg more (but I was supposed to rest it right?!) I also have limited range of motion.

His response was "don't worry about range of motion" "it can take up to a year to heal" "we will see how it is in another 2 months" "use the cane and crutches as needed". And every single question I asked him his response was "I don't know". I asked what the future was for the 90% torn glute minimus and he said he didn't know, "it could become chronic".

What I'd like to know from you guys is if anyone else here has had this fracture before and what treatment was given to you? I can't believe that I've had this problem for so long and a doctor continues to tell me to rest it and the only answer I'm given to questions is "I don't know".

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

dont bother asking for advise here this place is useless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.