Fractured humerus - Post surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just discovered this forum and it's been a great help to know that I'm not alone in suffering this injury and that some of the things I'm feeling are normal.

I've read a lot of people who are recovering from a fractured humerus via the non-surgical method with a splint or plaster cast.  I was wondering whether anyone, like me has has the surgery and had plates and screws. I broke my arm snowboarding three weeks ago and was operated upon in France two days later.  The surgery went well and I was allowed out of hospital within a week and am now at home in the UK.

At first I had very little discomfort but steadily over the past few days both my elbow and shoulder have started to ache, I'm assuming this is just from them not being used properly for weeks. I had some discharge from the wound and was checked in the hospital for infection but all was fine but they put me on antibiotics just in case.

I've now started to feel tenderness or burning in my arm where the plate is. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jaymmu,

You're still pretty early in recovery, good luck with the healing. My injury is not the same, my breaks were in the radius and ulna, but I do have a plate.  My surgery was 1/25, so I am nearly 11 weeks into this.  I have also have soreness in my shoulder and it is from disuse.  I am limited to a 2 pound weight on the arm so use has been minimal.  I am hoping to get this weight limit increased at follow up apt tomorrow, but the ulna has not yet healed.  I still have quite a bit a pain at the breaks, pt is going well, but I still have very limited movement in the wrist.  I also feel tenderness, but not burning, where the plate is (radius).  I will be addressing this with surgeon tomorrow.  He feels the plate should come out in 6 mos to a year.  At first I didn't want this as I didn't want to start over with recovery and pt, but now the plate is driving me crazy and I'd love to get the dang thing out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.