Fractured patella

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my kneecap 7 months ago slipping on a grape wink and had it wired in a figure 8 - 7 months later I am still experience pain and my knee is still swelling and collapses randomly. I had a MUA 4 months ago and would love to hear from anyone who can give me some idea of what to expect! Dr is saying that I will need a TKR at some point down the track...I am a 53 year old woman and wondering if this is an option that I need to look at earlier rather than later!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My experience - I waited too long to have my TKR, and it actually has had a hindering on y recovery. If doctor says it ought to be done, my suggestion is to have it done sooner rather than later.

A grape? Yikes!

Good luck!

• Posted

no i wouldnt be in any hurry to go down the road of TKR . its no magic answer .i did have a bi lateral TKR at 54 and unfortunatly one didnt go well, maybe i was just unlucky ,but what people dont realise its for keeps there is no going back .if i were you i would go and join a gym and get a rehab program to strenghten your knee go slowly at it . or maybe go to physio to help you strenghten it . please dont think that a TKR is the only answer to your problem good luck
    • Posted

I have physio twice a week and hydrotherapy once a week - pure frustration and pain has me looking at other options! I appreciate your advice though and agree that once you go down the tkr pathway there is no going back.  Thank you for your advice smile
  • Posted

Personally I would have done as soon as possible, why wait for your knee to deteriorate to the point of absolute pain.  You are young, The one thing you have to remember is, When your surgeon says he is happy with your new knee and that everything is working ok, he means it. But what they don't tell you is recovery takes many forms. You will be in and out of hospital in a week and walking, but it can take upwards of 18 months for the pain to dissipate and your muscles to get back to "normal".  Make your family doctor your best friend as not all drugs prescribed are the best ones for you personally. Thry until you get one that agrees with you.  The main thing to remember is dont be afraid if your trip as that knee is more strogner and secure than you can ever imagine.  At stay upbeat, goes a long long way
    • Posted

Thanks - physio is saying that because knee replacements last 10 to 15 years which is why they want to wait..trouble is I also have muscle atrophy in my quads from  the broken patella..but I am going to push for the tkr as pain and continual clunking in my knee is starting to do my hyead in!
    • Posted

then a TKR is right for you ,when you have had enough of pain and you know your at the end of the road then its time to see the surgeon .please make sure you get the best surgeon !!!!! get a second opinion research the best in your area and the very best of luck to you let us know how you get on
    • Posted

Second opinion is definitely on the cards...see my surgeon in a couple of weeks - workcover will organise a second consultant apparently, although I am still going to see a surgeon of my own choice!
    • Posted

Sounds like you have a positive outlook on it all. That does help a lot.

I waited until my knee was bone on bone for some time, not paying heed to what that was doing to my gait and muscle.

I definitely won't wait that long on my right knee!

I have heard a TKR can last up to 20 years. Who knows what medical advances will have been made in that time!

All the best!

• Posted

My first replacement is now 11 years old and although I am in contant pain (a different issue) it is still going strong, so long as you are not going to start running in marathons or any other high impact sports, it will last a lot longer
    • Posted

yes that is a good idea here in ireland the system is different .going private gives you more choice, but even with private insurance you pick the surgeon ,first appointment is 150 -250 euro and all visits after 100 euro you get very small amount back from your insurer  after .so getting second opinion is expensive here , with public your gp sends letter to get on consultants lists which can take for ever . my husband went on the public list over a year ago to see a consultant and as yet he has not heard a word ,and we have no idea when he will get to see him some say he could wait up to 2 years just to see him and then go on the list for the op which could take up to another 2yrs ,luckily he is not in huge pain at the moment .
  • Posted

If it is just your patella that is causing issues, why not have it removed. I had mine taken out in my 20's, didn't stop me from doing normal everday things. Your kneecap is separate from your joint, so for the doctor to say you need a replacement, means there must be other issues going on.  What is affected at this moment is your quads, having your knee damaged also affects your ligaments, tendons and muscles, with your quads being the sissy ones and needing the most exercise to keep strong. If you can work on them, you may find you wont collapse so often.  Don't go jumping for the replacement until you need one. Get your knee cap sorted first as even a TKR wont get rid of the problem
    • Posted

I have lost a lot of my quad muscles which I know is also cuasing pain around the kneecap. The surgery was a success (which is great) it's the constant clunking and swelling that is getting to me atm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.