Fractured Patella

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding fractured patellas.

Last week I fell onto my knees on concrete, followed by intense pain in my left knee. After icing the knee for 20 minutes or so, I realised this alone was not going to cut it, so I went to my local hospital emergency department.

The upshot was, an xray revealed a "comminuted, minimally displaced fracture with absent SLR" (straight leg raise). I was told they would probably take me to theatre that day to have the patella wired together. This plan was changed and instead I was put into a thigh to ankle splint and given crutches and told I would be called for an orthopaedic appointment within 10 days. Then they would redo the xray and decide based on whether bone knitting was happening what the course of action would be.

In the last few days I have done some reading up on this type of fracture and it seems that most comminuted and displaced fractures of the patella with absent SLR have surgical intervention. One of my questions is, does the same apply if it is only minimally displaced?

Is the post operative outcome worth having the surgery? So, if for instance my case was a borderline ‘to have surgery’ or ‘not to have surgery’ which should I choose?

Also has anyone had a low profile revision mesh plating done as treatment rather than the conventional TBW (tension band rewiring) and cerclage type of repair?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions but for now I need to settle for the night.

Thanks, Megan

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would say have the surgery. When I started reading your story I thought somehow I was reading my story of falling on my knees on cement. My fall happened in the year 2000 and I'm still today having issues. Mainly because of the doctors not following through and left my MCL not attached for a year. I fell back in 2000 and my sons took me to emergency. I was in so much pain. They took xray and said everything looks ok. 7 years later I'm having both knees total replacement on the same day. Home nurse said I was doing so good on my 2nd visit that she didn't come back. I called to see when my PT appointments are and they said I said I didn't want any of those appointments. Whey would someone getting two knees say that? I surely didn't. But I was dumb and and didn't follow through cause I received that sort of comment the 3 times I called. The system can be very messed up is the point I'm making. You could end up with arthritis in your knee. Keep that in mind and do what you can to let that happen. I could probably write a book with it only being about my knees. I wish you luck. I'm sure my comment might not be much help, I guess I really needed to vent and I feel bad for anyone else who falls on their knees on cement.

• Posted

You have a hard decision to make. It sounds like you have done quite a bit of research too, so you will make a decision that is best for you. I have not had your fracture but with my first (and so far only) broken bone (falling on concrete steps) I was given a lot of information and options. The orthopedist made it clear that I would need surgery if "I" didn't heal right. I sure didn't feel in control of my healing since I couldn't control my falling and told him that I might as well save time and have surgery now and not go through all the options that might not work for me. I was not happy but I had no prior experience and just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. Well, I didn't go that route. I was in a knee to toe cast and all went beautifully. So my suggestion is to do the least invasive and easiest option first because it very well might work! Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.