fractured radial head

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I fractured my elbow on June 1st (slightly displaced radial head fracture)

I am still in a lot of pain with it and very little movement.

My physio has wired me up to a TENs machine held in place with a soft cuff that allows movement with no restrictions. I have tried several different painkillers and anti inflammatory tablets, even creams but none have eased the pain enough to help me exercise my elbow and regain the movement.

The TEN's machine is a godsend - it allows me to do my exercises pain free - still can't get full movement but at least I am now able to try with no pain.

Sadly, it is looking more and more likely that I will be having an operation on it in September - but I am now getting to the point that I hope they do because I can't cope with the pain for much longer.

I also had a TENs machine before my hysterectomy due to lower back pain which most days I couldn't get out of bed because of it - it worked then too.

So I personally would recommend the use of Ten's machines.

Lloyd's Chemist sell them at the price of £14.99 and the replacement pads at £2.50.

I have just bought one for the physio to set up on me this week as I can only loan this one from the hospital for 1 week.

Definitely money well spent and much better than popping painkillers every few hours.

Melbi x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melbi I'm sorry about your injury to your elbow and possible operation. I used a T.E.NS machine when I was suffering from chronic pelvic pain. I would put two of the pads onto my tummy and two at the base of my spine. It worked very well as a distraction and I wore mine for longish periods of time. It had different settings ie pulse, continuous, random. It was very useful in relieving my pain at that time as I was taking pethidene and other anti inflamatories. I too eventually had a hyst last year. My TENS came from Neen electronics and cost about £90.00. It was money well spent and that was ten years ago. I used it during labour as well. I would only use with your consultant or doctors advice. Pooh.
  • Posted

Hi there Pooh Bear

My first TEN's machine cost £80 but was only meant for back pain (or at least that is what it said in the booklet that came with it. This one cost a mere £14.99 from Lloyd's Pharamcy and can be used for several parts of the body. Either they have come down in price or I was ripped off 4/5 years ago.

Sadly the TEN's machine is no longer working for the pain in my elbow and arm but was at fracture clinic yesterday and they have now decided to operate. I have to have a CT Scan then go back when they have the results and discuss the operation in more detail. The doctor is going to remove the radial head and replace it with a metal one. He says that although the fracture has healed there is a lot of fragments of bone floating around :shock: :? :roll:

I am hoping I can go straight back to work after the operation (well - within a week anyway) as I was off for 4 months from March - June with depression and anxiety.

Hope you are keeping well.

Love Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

I have just been reading your forum and wanted to see how you were getting on with your radial head replacement??

I fell over out running in September and I fractured, dislocated and shattered all the bones in my elbow (the radial head). I have had a metal plate put in and I have got a lot of straightening and bending back but rotation is very limited.

If I was 10 years older they would have just replaced it, which means at some point in my life I will probably need it replaced and I am really Jeab to hear how you operation went and how you are coping with it now??

I look forward to hearing from you!

• Posted

Hi Melbi I'm due to get an operation for the same thing what can I expect during the surgery and how bad is the pain after surgery and is the operation done under a general as I'm terrified of going under due to anxiety disorder I'm not sure if I'm going to go ahead due to my fears of not waking up am I being silly

• Posted

Hi Melbi it is good to talk to you again. I really sorry about your impending operation. You need to allow yourself time to recover from the anaesthetic after your op and the inevitable low feelings. You sound very positive about your depression and I understand your feelings about not wanting to stay off for too long after your op. I am recovering from surgery at the moment as well. I have had elective laser surgery for varicose veins. This was on Tuesday with a spinal anaesthetic.I intended to go back to work tomorrow but will go back on Monday. Hope your op goes well. Pooh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.