fractured ribs

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got diagnosed with 2 fractured ribs early November. I don't know how I did it. I did have aggressive radiation on my ribs due to bone cancer. I immediately sent the cat scan results to my radiologist to see if the cancer came back but he assured me nothing has changed as far as that. I have no problem breathing but I still have some pain under my rib especially when I lift my arm a certain way. It's not excruciating but short of like a dull toothache. Since the recovery is long for a fractured rib, how does one know if the rib is healing properly ?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. i have fractured my ribs three times. I'm 38 but have osteoporosis. My first one took 5 months but that was because it was broken off, not cracked and was misdiagnosed. I did it in November and had a bone scan in March. It was still broken!

I find, as long as the pain keeps decreasing over time, they are healing. You will get muscle spasm which is sudden, feels like grinding sinew... partially when moving our arm. I found keeping your arm in a sling for a few weeks reminds you not to move your arm and helps them heal better. Don't put your shoulder forward and back too. Anti-inflammatory medicine can help. Take something stronger if you're in a lot of pain.

The 2nd, I broke during a seizure. That one wasn't as bad... a crack rather than full break. Torn alot of muscles though and that was the cause of my horrendous pain. Couldn't breathe or move. I was in hospital and they refused to do tests. I had the blood spotting along one of my ribs which is the blood from a break.

I broke the third two, falling out of bed during a seizure 6 months ago. My right upper ribs landed on the bar of my home hospital table. That was 6 months ago. I still get aching. Again, sling, pain relief and time.

All take time. Just be gentle with your arm and unfortunately, some sharp pain which is muscle spasm is usually common. It's painful so rest your arm if you get that.

Sorry about your cancer, sounds awful.

Take Care

Melissa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.