Fractured t10 vertebra

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a slip and fall accident at work, falling heavily on centre of my back. I saw GP two days later, he examined my and informed that i had a muscle strain and to rest for two weeks.

After 2 weeks i was still in pain so i visited GP again and i requested xray. The xray was done in my lumbar region ( ive recently discovered) and not where my pain is in thoracic region.

XRAY showed no fractures in my lumbar spine, but did show evidence of osteopenia.

I was then sent for a bone density scan. I then had a call from GP informing that i have a vertebral fracture of T10 , but it is healing.

I was then sent for another scan on my thoracic spine. Before the X ray the radiographer informed me that a DeXa scan isnt accurate at diagnosing vertebral fracture and that it may be something else.

Wonder if anyway has knowledge of dexa scan and the likelihood that ive fractured T10 vertebra. Dont know what to think as im getting mixed information.

I continue to have painful muscle spasms and struggle to walk for any length of time, stand or sit unsupported. I'm still signed off work.

THANKS

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

A DEXA scan usually assesses or measures bone density. You need a skeletal xray to check fractures. I should ask for one that checks the correct place where the pain is, as they seem to have got it wrong last time!

• Posted

The dexascan is to assess your bone density - low bone density is associated with fracture risk and if it is very low in the spine you may even develop spontaneous vertebral fractures but anyway be more at risk if you fall. They will show fractures though not as accurately as other forms of imaging. But osteopenia is NOT the same as osteoporosis - and it depends on how severe it is. You can tell that from the t-score on the report.

I'd have thought that if the x-ray was of the wrong area you need another - they are neither dangerous nor expensive relatively speaking. Or was the "other scan" an MRI or CT scan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.