Fractured tib & fib

Posted , 4 users are following.

At the end of November I had an accident at work and fell from height and fractured my tib & fib also some ligament damage. I got plates and screws put in however they ended up infected, got them cleaned out but then had to get them removed and an external fixator put on due to them not doing the job. I got the fixator put on at the beginning of January and I am in for a review to see if I can get it off a week today. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of injury and how long it took them to get back to normal. I've been told I will be back on crutches for a bit when it is removed. I'm also a type 1 diabetic.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

ive had my tib & fib broken through a motorbike accident but it was a long time ago, probably before you was born, 55 years ago.

The reason I'm replying is because I had a hip replacement nearly 16 months ago and it's left me with damaged nerves in the foot.  When I went to see the orthopaedic surgeon he said he thought it was from the tibial nerve leading from that old injury.  

I am having tests for type 2 diabetes.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery

Brenda

• Posted

Thanks for the reply that was a while before I was born haha. I also smashed my shin bone so I have damaged nerves to my foot aswell getting better with time but don't know how it will go. Good luck with your test.

• Posted

I too after my Tib and Fib spiral surgery April 24,17 also developed Diabetic nerve pain. My Doctor subscribed for me, Gabapentin. I love this stuff. After taking it a week 3x a day the nerve pain has subsided. Doing another week of pills to see if it goes away, as my doctor said it should. I have Type 2 diabetes. The nerve pain is only in my right foot (toes really) occasionally in rest of leg. I hope my post helps you. I also put ice packs on my leg and that also helps with the nerve pain. But ask your doctor about Gabapentin.
    • Posted

It is my toes that feel it the most aswell but it's. O diabetic nerve injury as far as I know it as due to my fall also done some ligament damage was quite a bad injury. Thank will ask about that this week

• Posted

I've had Gabapentin and they didn't make any difference. I was recommended capsicum cream by the hospital that made no difference.  I've tried everything including alternative therapies.  Nothing seems to make any difference, that is the reason I paid for Physiotherapists.  Everyone seems to give me different opinions on what is causing it.  I'm running out of ideas and getting very frustrated.

All the best

Brenda

• Posted

Hi David

Its my toes as well, I'm not diabetic but blood test have shown I'm on the border line so they are keeping a check on my diet. I am only 9 stone but because I'm shrinking I know I need to loose weight.

All the best

Brenda

• Posted

Hi David! I broke my lower tib/fib on 3/31. The swelling was too severe to do surgery right away so they put and external fixator on for 2 weeks. On 4/13 is when they placed 13 screws and 2 plates in. My surgeon estimates I'll be NWB until 6/28 then start PWB.... he says I'll be PWB for 6 weeks then hopefully be able to be FWB. So I'm looking to start walking around August. But of course I'm expecting not to have full strength by then (always plan for the worst!) The doctor tells me this is a very complex injury

And it takes 4-5 months to recover from.

• Posted

Had the external fixator off about 6 weeks now still a struggle to put weight on foot when walking. Have to wear a knee brace when walking as it doesn't feel steady enough without it. The fixator pierced muscles in my leg also which haven't healed yet gets quite sore at night time how are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.