Fractured tibia and fibula recovery not so good

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had surgery 11/21/17 with screws and plate because of a fractured tibia and fibula. I'm so swollen and hurt a lot. Can anyone relate or have suggestions. image

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately this surgery results in a lot of swelling and pain/discomfort. I am 6 months post surgery and I am still dealing with pain and swelling. Compression socks have helped a lot. I am 29 years old and I have 3 small children so it is hard to do but elevating my leg for an hour several times a day helps a lot and massage has been the best treatment. Once your able to stand it, rub your ankle, roll your foot over a tennis ball and down your calf, anything to increase blood flow and break up scar tissue. My doctor was very vague on recovery time but he definitely left me with the impression that I would be pain free after a few weeks and never mentioned swelling. Once my bones were healed he discharged me, without any regard to ability to walk or carry on with daily tasks. His attitude was basically if bones aren't broken, then you're fine. But the reality is that it takes time for all of the ligaments to heal, to rebuild muscle and to undo the damage of being immobile for so long. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello. I'm so sorry you not feeling your best. Did you heal all the way? I had my 1st surgery Nov. 2016 the same ankle breakage on both sides. In July

2017 I had to have the screws & plates removed. I had a lot of pain!!!That might be your problem, that they need to come out. Since I had them removed the pain is a lot less finally. Ask your doctor to do a XRay on it.

I thank you for your time and

I hope you can find out what's going on. It was a long recovery for me. But I'm hanging in there! Thanks again Veronica 34

• Posted

I am 2 months post ORIF surgery with no swelling or discomfort. I recommend keeping it elevated as much as possible and icing! Getting used to walking around on it helps a lot.

• Posted

On February 28, 2018 I had an ankle surgery (trimaleollar fracture) with 7 screws and then a plate of 2 threaded brooches and a screw. On 20th of November they were all removed. Now I am in recovery. There is less and less pain.

• Posted

Hi,

As with all replies you have recieved the general picture your getting is pain and discomfort, we all have or own personal stories of post op experiences

Trust me on this, recovery is a process, you are structurally sound to push yourself, how much is up to you, the more you push yourself (within reason) the quicker and better you regain a better functions of your ankle, that is my advice.....this is a process which has no easy or painless way through it, you have to accept it and push yourself through your excercises and recovery.

You will improve, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.