Fragmin after Total Hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had to give themselves Fragmin blood thinning injections after a total hysterectomy, and if so, where do you do them.  I'm worried it will make my tummy hurt more after my op has left it battered and bruised, but I understand it doesn't hurt so much in the stomach.  Has anyone any experience of this please?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kath,

Are those the injections that they give you to stop you getting blood clots in your legs after an operation?  I had some in hospital after my hysterectomy, think I just had them for 3 days whilst I was in there, I didn't have to do any at home.  The nurse did mine at the top of my thigh on the outside of my thigh, I didnt have them in my stomach at all.  They really sting don't they eek

• Posted

Hi I had mine for a week so had to continue when I got home, discharge nurse advised in the stomach different side each day..

did mine belly button level so not painful at all

• Posted

Hi Luisa.  I have to do them for 28 days.  I have an incision in my belly button plus 4 others (includes one for the drain).  I was wondering if it makes stomach more painful (I already have bruising from the op) and whether it is less painful in the tummy than the leg.  So far I have had the first two in the leg which my daughter came and did because it's difficult for me to bend down to reach my thigh, because of the op.  If it is less painful in the tummy area, I could try and find a space where it's not too bruised and have a go, but I didn't want to do this if it hurts as much as in the leg.  Do you also have to do it in another place each time?
    • Posted

So did they try laprascope first?

But yes tummy apparently better, just pinch a little bit of skin between fingers and go for it.my best friend is a nurse so I was lucky she came to me each day, but she also said in hospital its routinely done in stomach, try but if sore cos of bruising stick to top of leg, as long as its going somwhere,

but definetly change the area each day

28 days is a long time tho wow, you will notice you bruising easier for a while.

good luck

• Posted

I had injections in top of legs for 3 days while in hospital and yes they do hurt!! 🙀. Is there any history of blood clots in your family perhaps that have made this the option for you?  I had to wear the lovely white support socks for 3 weeks after the op but once discharged from hospital on day 6 only during the day, not at night. 

I am am such a coward I could not give myself injections!!

take care and get well.

• Posted

I had to have them for 6 weeks once home I had to inject them myself. Yes tummy area is best, a different place each time. I was advised to pinch ny skin with 1 hand and inject by keeping the needle upright and pull it out do not rub the site after as this may cause extra bruising....You can imagine after 6 weeks the colour my tummy was, as I bruise easily. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Kathy I had to do this for a week after coming home, they stung a bit but that's all it soon wears off as you have probably found out by now.

Hope you are continuing to progress well?

Phoebe xx

• Posted

I had my total hysterectomy done 2 weeks ago and got put on same injections for 6 weeks i change every other day in top of leg then stomach next day and swop legs and what side of stomach it hurts but not as much if move it around

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.