Freaking out about colon cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm sure you guys have seen this post a bunch of times now but needless to say I am very worried I have cancer. I have had blood in my stool on a regular basis for about a year now, and it is always flat or pencil shaped or very loose. I went to my gp on Monday and she could not find anything obviously wrong with my rectum so I have an appointment with a gi in a week. Since my doctor appointment I have been very gassy and am obsessed with the possibility of this. She said I will likely need a colonoscopy which I have read I may have to wait up to a year to get (?!). I'm only 21 but it seems like all of the symptoms are there, I'm just trying to accept my fate at this point. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Deep breath! What color is the blood in your stool? Does it coat the stool or just on the toilet paper?

Blood in the stool is majority not cancer. It's good to get it ruled out. Especially at age 21. Most doctor's will tell you it's more likely to be colitis, ibs, Crohn's. You could have a benign polyp as well. Good news, colon cancer takes years to develop into cancer. Which is why it's preventable with regular screening and treated by removal of polyps.

I waited 5 months for my flexible sigmoidoscopy and then another 2 months for my colonoscopy. If they try to push a flexible sigmoidoscopy, say no thank you, you'd rather the full colonoscopy.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the reply. The blood is bright red. It is on the stool and the toilet paper. I will insist on the colonoscopy when I see the gi, thank you for the advice. 
  • Posted

There is obviously something that needs attention but I suspect it is not cancer.  To ease your mind, ask your GP for a blood test to look at the CEA (carcino embryonic antigen) level.   This is the usual pre test for bowel cancer.  If the level is low then cancer is very unlikely, if it is high then there is a chance that it is cancer and you should be given priority for a colonoscopy.  In my case, the time from blood test to colonoscopy was three weeks.  As I commented at the start, cancer in your case is probably the least likely of the possibilities so the CEA test should be a quick way to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for the advice. What makes you think that cancer is so unlikely? I will ask my doc about the blood test next week.
    • Posted

Ghost man colon cancer is rare for young people but best to get it checked out I agree about the cea blood test but it's hard to get some doctor to do tumor markers my doctor doesn't believe in them even though I have lost 40 pounds for no reason good luck to you and insist on a colonoscopy

• Posted

Hello...im so sorry you are experiencing these type of symptims but first let me say calm down. You could be stressing over nothing. You should just go to the gi doctor and get the colonoscopy. I use to feel the say way and everything was fine. I had the same symptoms and all i had was hemroidds and ibs..please stop worrying and try to relax. I will ne thinking of you and praying for you. Keep me updated
    • Posted

I just read this post from GhostMan240. Firstly let me say to Ghostman I hope you get your appointment quickly , and as you are only 21 I'm sure it is not going to turn out to be colon Cancer.

I have been to my doctors recently (I'm 45) , as I have had two episodes of finding blood after pooing , and she seems to think it is likely internal piles ( I have some external) possible mixed with IBS which I have suffered from (self-diagnosed) for a long time > I tend to get sudden need to go to toilet especially after stress or anxiety . I have learnt to cope with this but had a very rich meal the other night and ended up with crippling stomach and diarrhoea , followed by blood. She has done a full blood count , all normal. she has suggested another blood test in a month , second examination and a stool sample once this episode has settled.

@julia65304 you mentioned mixture of IBS and piles , which is what made me comment, I'm very much hoping this is all I have.

• Posted

Hey guys, don’t know if you all will end up seeing this reply but differed I’ll update anyways. I just had my colonoscopy, doc found one large (14mm) polyp but everything else seemed normal. He removed it, and I have a follow up scheduled for a couple weeks, and have to get another colonoscopy in a year. Very relieved he did not find cancer! 
    • Posted

That’s great news . So glad - you can relax now . All the best . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.