Freaking out about stools

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having odd symptoms w for a few months (see my previous post) and part of them has been that my bowel movements are all over the place. I had a habit of going first thing in the morning, once a day. Over the last few months this started to get earlier and earlier in the morning, so if I wake up I immediately need to go, and as night sweats have been waking me up through the night this has been happening frequently, and has increased in frequency to being two or three times through the day as well. I do not eat a lot and if anything have been eating less due to feeling unwell and anxiety, but my stools are large and mostly firm or sometimes a little soft. For a couple of weeks they were getting paler. I know my food is passing through me quite quickly as one night I ate bowl of tomato soup and the next morning my stool was formed but bright red and dyed the water in the pan red too. The colour became more normal this last week, darker, but frequency has remained high. This morning I have already been twice within 2 hours and the second time was a bit loose and contained bits of spinach which looked undigested from my dinner last night only about 12hrs before.

I'm so scared I may have cancer or something serious, I've lost weight and have nightly sweats which wake me up. My Drs are fed up with me as I've been there so often recently and I have been given a diagnosis of Anxiety Disorder so they don't seem to want to listen to anything else. I just want it all to stop. I can't deal with it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had an upper abdo ultrasound last week to investigate a chronic pain in my right side, but she could find nothing wrong with my pancreas or gallbladder or liver etc. I mentioned the bowel movement frequency and that I was worried about Pan Can and she said it looked fine, no bile duct distension or lumps and bumps.

I don't understand what is happening to me.

• Posted

Hi I didn’t want want to read this and ignored because I understand how horrible health anxiety is. In November I started having a rib pain which convinced me I was about to die - I lost a lot of weight, had no appetite and the more my anxiety took over, the worse my symptoms became. If you have been to the doctors and they have said it is NOT cancer and you are NOT dying then please let yourself accept that. It was the only thing that helped me. If it was something very sinister or serious your symptoms would be magnified and they would be running more tests. It is a horrible place to be and no one should feel unsupported. But you are not dying and you need to tell yourself that, start a healthy lifestyle and take care of yourself smile
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am really trying to relax about everything but it seems that whenever I do something gets worse or something new arrives.

I have had full bloods done and the abdo US. Doctors say there is nothing to go on from either and therefore I am perfectly well. I wish I felt it. I cannot see my Dr again until the end of next month unless it's an emergency appt so I am trying to keep a lid on my fears until then. I just keep feeling so ill.

• Posted

I was the same.  As soon as I got my IBS diagnosis. I began to relax and accept that I had nothing serious.  My doctor explained to me why he thought I had IBS and this helped me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.