Freaking out... Could my daughter have leukemia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a hypochondriac by nature and always think the worst when it comes to mine and my families health....

9 days ago today my 7 yr old daughter started waking in the middle of the night with leg pain, we figured it was growing pains and moved on...A few nights later she woke up again, this time with hip pain, and last night woke up with arm pain, now neck pain....It's definitely the worst at night but does bother her somewhat during the day as well..

She is also fighting strep throat and a cold at the moment, so is dealing with a low-grade fever, some fatigue and all the other symptoms a cold comes with...(she has a decreased appetitie but still eating well)

This morning I brought her to Emerg and the doctor wasn't overly concerned as she doesn't "look sick" and the pain subsides with advil/Tylenol, but I am still freaking out...

Does anyone know if leukemia could present itself with solely joint pain?

Now this morning she woke up with this rash on her elbow and I'm freaking out that's its a petechial rash? Please please help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You have to stop thinking he worst! Its dangerous when you are Mother. It is scary when your child gets ill, it is and all you want is for the child to heal. She will heal.truth is with or without the antibiotic she would heal. ThE antibiotic is really given to prevent a more sinister ailment. Examine what antibiotic she is on and she if it causes pains, some do. Some effect the tendons., some can give a rash. So you can always call the pharmacist and ask.

i do not know why you have chosen cancer for your daughter. Luekemia is something totally different. A simple blood test would red flag that.she has strep. Thats what she has.

i understand fear and health anxiety but putting it into the child can really  cause everlasting mental issues on the child.do you know what i mean? This kid should be coloring and watching tv and be knowing anyday shes good to go and play. And you should be confident all is well and maybe grab some colored pencils or crayons and color too.😀 

Everything is going to be fine.

• Posted

I have had strep throat prolly 50 times through out my life time and every time I had joint pain with it, to my knowledge infections cause inflammation which causes joint pain, Ibprophine would most likely calm these pains at nights Because during the day your moving and not allowin things to settle to much but while sleeping it settles in spaces such as joints. I personally have been diagnosed with health anxiety so I know what it's like to jump to the scariest and worst case scenarios, give it some time and see how much it helps, more than likly all will be better in a week to 10 days.

• Posted

You are going to impose your own hypochondria upon

your child by not calmly dealing with a common illness

such as all all kids have

no one gets through life without being ill at some time or other. Headaches/colds/flu/ tummy upsets and the

rest

Instilling fear in her that will last lifelong by your totally

unfounded assumption of a life threatening disease

Be calm. Keep her warm in bed, with books and toys to amuse and distract her, and plenty of fluids to keep

her hydrated

When our children are ill we need our Mummy to nurse

and comfort us

She will be just fine

The doctor found no cause for anxiety

• Posted

You are going to impose your own hypochondria upon

your child by not calmly dealing with a common illness

such as all all kids have

no one gets through life without being ill at some time or other. Headaches/colds/flu/ tummy upsets and the

rest

Instilling fear in her that will last lifelong by your totally

unfounded assumption of a life threatening disease

Be calm. Keep her warm in bed, with books and toys to amuse and distract her, and plenty of fluids to keep

her hydrated

When our children are ill we need our Mummy to nurse

and comfort us

She will be just fine

The doctor found no cause for anxiety

• Posted

Has your daouthger been tested for things autoimmune?  Like Celiac disease?  Have they run any blood work? How do they know it is "growing pains" and not somehtin else? 

Does your family eat healthy meals of whole foods? Not processed?  Maybe her pain is nutritional. 

I have celiacs and it looked like mental illness.  It can have many faces because the body is being starved. If she is not checked, that is the first blood-work I would have her get.

Check back with us!

"Mental illness is a physical illness that manifests itself in the brain"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.