Freaking out over stomach symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mind is racing with possible reasons for why i feel ill right now. My stomach is upset, I'm getting abdominal cramping and I've gone to the toilet a few times. The things I'm thinking of are: it could be my IBS combined with acid reflux because for the past few days i've been getting this lump in the throat feeling; it could also be the pizza i ate tonight or ice cubes that may not have been clean; it could also be my menstrual cycle....or stress. I've been severely stressed lately with a relationship issue. I don't know what is causing this sickness but the thoughts in my head are making me feel more sick. Does anyone share this experience? Going over multiple reasons in your head as to why you are sick? It's so nerve wracking. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes very common with anxiety. I get stress induced IBS, in that my symptoms are worse during heightened periods of stress and worry. I get nausea really often with anxiety too. Hard as it is, you've got to try to let those thoughts go, and calm your mind as otherwise you'll just keep on in a cycle that will encourage the phsyical symptoms to continue.

If you still feel bad a couple of weeks later and you're feel calmer, see your doctor to rule out any viral bug or allergies. Try keeping a food diary to see if your abdominal pain is worse with certain foods.

• Posted

Thank you so much. The nausea is getting more intense. I just had abdominal cramps, passed stool again and it was soft. I have even considered that I might be pregnant even though I have my period. I don't know what is causing this but it is very distressing. Thanks for the support.

• Posted

Some of the management options :

mindfulness

relaxation techniques

correct breathing techniques

cognitive therapy 

CBT/ counselling  

dietary adjustments

exercise

Antireflux medication like  ppi

support groups

• Posted

Thank you so much. The nausea is getting more intense. I just had abdominal cramps, passed stool again and it was soft. I have even considered that I might be pregnant even though I have my period. I don't know what is causing this but it is very distressing. Thanks for the support.

• Posted

Intense nusea- what time u have more all  day or esp after eating food or while u lying  on bed. or u usung any antireflux medication 

or did u try 

- less likey u are pregnant if u have regular periods  but need further history 

about age  abd how long these syptoms ongoing

hx of mentstural periods

past medical hx

on any medication:

Family Hx of any significant medical issue

if u have any question  or not comfortable sharing in public u can discuss with me privatly

• Posted

I have the nausea for 10 hours now, but it has eased up....not so intense like before. I have a history of gastritis, IBS and acid reflux. A few days ago I had a reflux attack, I felt it in my chest and throat so it is possible that the acid level in my stomach is high right now. I was on Prilosec but I didnt take it for one week because I have my period and would usually take other medication for period symptoms. I also have anxiety and right now my sister is in hospital to deliver a baby so that might be contributing to how i"m feeling. I checked with some friends who ate the same food i ate last night and they are all fine. I will have to take a pregnancy test. 

• Posted

I have not eaten for the day as the thought of food made me feel sick. I drank some liquid antacid. 
  • Posted

Hi. No need to worry . Be brave. Do care in diet. Anxiety made our stomatch ill. And we feel we hv to suiside. But dont try. Be positive. Do long brrsthing ecercises. I m with you. Any help u needed plz tell me. Stsy blessed.
    • Posted

The nausea is getting more intense. I just had abdominal cramps, passed stool again and it was soft. I have even considered that I might be pregnant even though I have my period. I don't know what is causing this but it is very distressing. Thanks for the support. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.