Freaking out - urgent referral endoscopy - any advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello - I have had IBS for years but the past year seems to be worse than normal. I get a lot of heartburn now and odd lower right back ache as well as tender stomach mainly on left side but occasionally on right but past few months I have had problems swallowing and feel like a lump in throat - so I saw doctor the other day and he has given me an urgent referral for endoscopy and a leaflet with cancer on top but said probably just excess acid - but now I am really freaking out and panicking - I have to wait about 10 days for test but so worried I have something serious now and want to see my little boy grow up. I am over 40 now and been under a lot of stress lately with buying a house etc but now scared and want to cancel house move as my other half could not afford without me - thanks in advance xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your house move has stressed you out and triggered an IBS flare up.  The lump in throat sensation is common with GERD. GERD goes along with IBS. Stress can cause problems with swallowing and so can a hiatus hernia. Worrying will make all of this worse. You don’t have long to wait for your endoscopy; there is no point in worrying about something that may or may not happen. Concentrate on the positives: your doctor is suggesting it may be excess acid.
    • Posted

Thank you - I did end up in accident and emergency yesterday as had major panic attack and could not eat at all but I think the stress of it made it worse. They wouldnt do a test yesterday but said it could be thrush as I use inhalers for asthma or major flare up or acid or ulcer or hernia but have to rule everything out - it was just the fact that they put me as urgent and saw on leaflet cancer it has got me so worried and panicking and extremely scared. cannot stop crying or panicking off food now as a cause of it

• Posted

These leaflets tend to be very general and do not apply to everyone’s situation.  Your doctor has listed a number of poseible causes which do not sound sinister and are treatable.  After the age of forty, they sometimes put you forward for an urgent scan purely as a precaution particularly if you had not had these symptoms previously.

An earlier scan is a positive thing because you will get answers quicker and you will have less time to worry and stress about it.  If you had been put on the standard waiting list, you would have had a longer period for panic and anxiety to set in.

• Posted

Hi 

Try not worry, I'm sure it will be fine, it's what your Doctor suggest excess acid which I had many years ago.

Wish you well 

• Posted

Hi hepzee....Don't worry about your urgent referral, There are so many causes for not able to swallowing the food, Given your history of IBS and panic attacks, It might be related to that and also If you are using steroids frequently then some infections related to fungus can affect the esophagus too, given your history of oral thrush, So if you will worry then the problem will go worse, So instead worrying about the diagnosis you can always think that endoscopy will give you the perfect answer of your symptoms, Don't get panic, I know it is easier said than done but look forward to have your endoscopy with positive mind set, And hope to find the answers of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi all,

I had my endoscopy and I have a 6cm Hiatus Hernia - thank you for all your advice and help - I appreciate it xx

• Posted

Hey Hepzee I am happy that It is just hiatus hernia...Hope you are feeling better now...So can you tell us what did they suggest for further management?
    • Posted

Hi - I am seeing the doctor on Monday but the hospital suggested probably will go on medication and need to eat small meals during day rather than a large one late at night - will let you know what they say smile
  • Posted

Thank you..woud like to know about thatbiggrin
    • Posted

Hello Jello - I went to the doctors this morning and they have put me on a course of tablets for next month to see how I go - Omeprazole. I also have to lose weight and not eat heavy meals on a night and try and eat smaller meals during the day. Can still take antacids to top it up they said when needed - hopefully sensible eating going forward will help my ibs and hernia x

• Posted

Hey hepzee...yey...great....now just change the diet and follow the instructons properly...do exercise everyday...and u will be fine....Thank you very much for your update...biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.