Free T4 and Vitamin B12 levels plunge - This is weird

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I am a 44-year-old male, and I have autoimmune hypothyroidism.

In June 2017, my situation was the following:

I had been taking Synthroid 125 (5 times per week) and Synthroid 137 (2 times per week), for about 2.5 years. I had been taking methylcobalamin Vitamin B12 (4000 mcg per week), for about 1.5 years. I had not taken any Vitamin D supplements for 5 years. I had never taken any Selenium or Vitamin E supplements.

In June 2017, I had some blood tests, and these were the results:

FT4 = 1.53 (normal range = 0.82 - 1.77)

FT3 = 3.3 (normal range = 2.0 - 4.4)

TSH = 0.084 (normal range = 0.450 - 4.500)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy = 24.4 (normal range = 30 - 100)

Vitamin B12 = 873 (normal range = 211 - 946)

Folate (Folic Acid) (serum) = 13.3 (normal range = >3.0)

Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) (serum) = 7.9 (normal range = 5.3 - 17.5)

Selenium (serum/plasma) = 136 (normal range = 79 - 326)

After the June 2017 blood tests, I lowered my Vitamin B12 dosage. I started alternating between 4000 mcg per week and 3000 mcg per week. In other words, one week, I would take 4000 mcg. The next week, I would take 3000 mcg. Everything else (Synthroid, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Selenium) stayed the same.

In December 2017, I had some blood tests, and these were the results:

FT4 = 1.42 (normal range = 0.82 - 1.77)

FT3 = 2.9 (normal range = 2.0 - 4.4)

TSH = 0.106 (normal range = 0.450 - 4.500)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy = 19.0 (normal range = 30 - 100)

Vitamin B12 = 878 (normal range = 232 - 1245)

After the December 2017 blood tests, everything (Synthroid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Selenium) stayed the same.

In late October 2018, I had some blood tests, and these were the results:

FT4 = 1.00 (normal range = 0.82 - 1.77)

FT3 = 3.0 (normal range = 2.0 - 4.4)

TSH = 3.010 (normal range = 0.450 - 4.500)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy = 17.0 (normal range = 30 - 100)

Vitamin B12 = 304 (normal range = 232 - 1245)

Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) = 7.2 (normal range = 7.0 - 25.1)

Vitamin E (Gamma Tocopherol) = 0.6 (normal range = 0.5 - 5.5)

Selenium (serum/plasma) = 174 (normal range = 91 - 198)

As you can see, the FT4 has plunged from the June 2017 and December 2017 values. The Vitamin B12 also has plunged from the June 2017 and December 2017 values. The FT3 went down from June 2017 to December 2017, but went up from December 2017 to late October 2018.

As for hypothyroidism symptoms, lately I have had excessive constipation. Also, I feel cold and pain in my lower back. And I have a wound on my leg that, in my view, is taking too long to fully heal.

In July 2018, I had CMP, CBC, and cholesterol blood tests. Everything was normal, except the following:

Platelet Count = 111 (normal range = 150 - 400)

Mono% = 12.4 (normal range = 4 - 12)

BUN = 22 (normal range = 6 - 20)

But I've had these abnormal values for years. These values are nothing new.

Because I was feeling pain in my groin area, I had a urinalysis in August 2018 and an ultrasound of my scrotum in September 2018. The urinalysis showed presence of uric acid and calcium oxalate, a squamous epi level of 5, a pH of 5.0 (normal range = 5.0 - 8.0), and a specific gravity of 1.031 (normal range = 1.005 - 1.030). I thought that the urinalysis showed kidney stones, but the primary doctor said that I was just dehydrated.

The ultrasound showed a small varicocele on one of my testicles. Varicoceles are similar to varicose veins in the leg.

There has been a significant change in my diet in the last few months. I've been eating shrimp from time to time. I noticed that the shrimp contains calcium (60 mg, 6%), and I know that calcium interferes with thyroid hormone.

So, given all of the above information, what is causing my FT4 and Vitamin B12 levels to plunge? My endo and I will be meeting soon, but she has already said that she thinks that my TSH, FT4, FT3, and B12 levels are great. So, she is clearly basing her opinion only on the normal range.

Thanks for any info.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

try drinking AcV (apple cider vinegre) 1 tbsp , 10 ounces water- twice daily, to help with uric acid.

b12 shots work too.

ive lived with this condition since i was 15- im 44 now. these things really help.

all the best

laurie

• Posted

Is the presence of uric acid in the urine connected to the plunge in B12?

• Posted

Are you taking vitamin D supplements? your Vitamin d is very low.....people with thyroid issues often have low vitamin D-I had mine tested when first diagnosed it was 22 which is also very low. I started taking a liquid supplement of 2,000mg a day plus a teaspoon of flavored fish oil day daily-last blood test 8 weeks later- I was already up to 33 for my vitamin D level. I want to get up in the upper range however. Your low vitamin D might be part of the problem-if you are not taking a supplement? 17 is very low.

• Posted

In the past, whenever I took Vitamin D supplements, my FT4 and FT3 levels went down, and I felt bad. Thus, I do not take these supplements.

However, my Vitamin D level has been below normal for years. I don't think that my low Vitamin D level is the explanation for the plunge in FT4 and Vitamin B12 levels.

• Posted

hI Jack

I recommend you look into Manuka honey for wound healing either directly onto the skin or take internally. You may benefit from taking it regularly. Also folate supplements or including raw green 'veg in juicing will improve your platelet levels.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Regarding raw green vegetables:

Every night, I eat a salad as part of my dinner. This salad consists of red-leaf lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and virgin olive oil. Would the red-leaf lettuce be considered a raw green vegetable?

• Posted

I have read somewhere that my body's intrinsic factor (which is responsible for the absorption of Vitamin B12) could be under attack by my own immune system. Furthermore, I have read that my gastric parietal cells (which produce the intrinsic factor) also could be under attack by my own immune system.

I have not had any vaccines since summer 2009. However, for the last 30 years, I have been getting allergy injections (allergy immunotherapy). These injections contain things to which I'm allergic (ragweed, pollen, cat dander, etc.), and these injections presumably cause my body to produce antibodies to these allergens. Is it possible that something in the allergy injections that I have received in the past year, has caused my immune system to attack my intrinsic factor and/or my parietal cells?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.