Freezing cold legs and feet after hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone else Suffered from cold legs and feet after surgery loss of ovaries so could be hormonal or maybe its the stockings. They do hurt round the tops! 4 days post op

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was the same. My feet were freezing.think it was summat to do with the stockings too, but I was too sacred to keep them off for risk of developing dvt. Ended up putting water bottle on mine. It does ease up with the stocking off xx
  • Posted

I didn't have to wear the stockings after I left the hospital. I would call my nurse or GP, in case there's a problem with circulation.
  • Posted

Thank you both. I've been told keep them on for 3 weeks. I'm walking around but definitely not back to as much activity before op but is only a few days since it happened. I took them off last night and rubbed legs lots before bed in case circulation and being under covers they've warmed up now.
    • Posted

I was told by my surgeon and sister in law ( who is a ward sister) to keep stockings on for 6 wks! I ve only just taken them off on Friday, what a relief!! Keeping them on actually improves the blood flow back to your heart so bear with them until yuk our recommended time is up. Don't take chances x
    • Posted

I was told before I went into surgery that I would need to wear them 28 days. Then, when I was being discharged, the nurse took them off and said I didn't have to wear them at home. Everyone is different.
    • Posted

Mum had her hysterectomy done 2 weeks before me and same hospital but she was told 6 weeks so guessing they look at the person and op done and make decision. I'm going to be good and do what I'm told as I Dont want to chance setbacks. I've even resisted putting things away tho I just dont understand how hubby and kids can't see things when they not put away ! wink
    • Posted

Had to laugh at that Froggy about hubby not putting things away, it's drove me mad, stuff lying about for days, can't they be bothered or just not see it? I ve started doing little jobs like that myself now. Hope you soon feel better x
    • Posted

I'm5 days post op now so had to mmove bits it was driving me insane. Nothing heavy tho. How are you getting on with getting hrt sorted? Xx
  • Posted

My mistake. I was told 2 weeks for socks and 28 days for heparin shots. That was changed to no socks at home and 6 days of shots (was in hospital for 5 days so just 1 shot at home).

I think if you feel there might be a problem with the socks, you should call and ask. There is no right answer as to how long to keep them on. Doctors can only estimate based on your medical history and your activity level in hospital.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes we must be all different. I had no shots of anything and was discharged 18 hours after op. I'm moving around a lot better today so keeping fingers crossed its all going in the right direction. Hope you are doing OK now? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.