Freezing fog

Posted , 3 users are following.

Today it's freezing fog - bitterly cold - and I am so fed up at staying in but I know that I just couldn't breathe if I went out .....so have been looking for a solution to the scarf around mouth and nose and came across 'neck gaiters'. They seem to be used by skiers and can be worn over mouth and nose or just as a neck warmer. I've found a lot of different types on Amazon.

Just wondered if any of you have tried them and what you think of them?

I may just have to send off for one and try it - am so fed up not getting out and this freezing fog is forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday too. Aagh.

Ann x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't looked at those Ann, but what I've done is cut off a piece of an ordinary thin woollen scarf (about 6\"wink and sewed elastic on it to go round my head and over my ears, with another piece of elastic lower down to go round my head at the bottom. I've had problems keeping the scarf in place if it's just wrapped around my mouth and this has solved the problem. It looks like a surgeons mask, but I wear the rest of the scarf as a scarf and it looks all in one. I hope I haven't confused you with this, but it certainly does the trick and the mask is easily washed after every outing.
  • Posted

Hi Rita,

That sounds like a good idea - I like that you can wash it.

When I was little and lived in Glasgow in the 50s my mum used to put a man's hankie inside the scarf so that it could be washed and also didn't get that horrible wet feeling. We had 'smog' in those days and I suffered from bronchitis every year so this scarf thing was supposed to filter the air. When you blew your nose it was truly black what came out!!!! :?

Anyway I've ordered a gaiter from Amazon but have found that you can buy them in most ski shops and it looks like bikers wear them too.

If it's not much use I'll have a go at your suggestion.

Thanks,

Ann x

• Posted

Ann

Let me know know how well it works please.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Hi Jacee,

I'll let you know when I get it. Possibly Spring the way the post is at the moment! Lol!

Saw some in Blacks but they were blue or black and I wanted a bright colour.

I must be the only person in Britain hoping for cold weather again so that I can try it out!

Ann xx

• Posted

Hi

My post has always been dodgy, so much so that people now look at me askance when I say I did not get what was sent.

We have had quite a mild weekend - some rain which finished offf the snow - but temperatures have dropped dramatically again today. Brrrrrrrr.

I recommend heart and home today!!

Jacee

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.