Freezing then sweating...again HELP!

Posted , 7 users are following.

This may sound silly...to me it serious. I have no reference for Perimenopause as I lost my Mom a few years ago and no direct blood sisters. I have literally been freezing like Painfully freezing.. then massively sweating every evening and night for over a week. Not sure if its Peri related or my Anti Anxiety meds causing it. If it is Peri... Should i expect to be frozen then sweaty everynight for the next 4-6 years? Or does it go away and come back like a cycle? I had a partial hystorectomy 13 years ago so I have no period to use as a guideline either..literally feels like i have a flu ! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I started perimenopause the same way - I found relief with flax oil supplements to balance my hormones and hesperiden which I found on eBay for the night sweats.    Worked great within a week or two. 

Perimenopause lasts about a year before actual menopause is in. 

Some women are peri for 2 years.    If I were in your situation without periods to guide you, I would see a physician for an FSH test to see where your hormones are at.     Take care! 💕

• Posted

Thanks Tricia, I follow up with my gyno in 2 weeks. He did some blood work and pap already. When i go in 2 weeks he is doing a U/S then giving me all results.
  • Posted

Sorry I have no answers for you, but I do sympathise, I'm going through the same myself at the moment. God, it's awful, isn't it?!frown
  • Posted

Hi, I have been noticing exactly the same thing recently. I am really cold and then get very hot and flushed within a couple of minutes sometimes.

The worst thing is at night, because when I go bed I still quite flushed and have a fan on to cool me down, intending to turn it off, or at least turn it in another direction. Then about half way through the night I start getting really cold and trying to pull the duvet closer around me, but still feel cold. Then I am still mostly asleep, so I dont get up and turn the fan off. Then I'm struggling with feeling cold which disturbs my sleep until morning. This happens every night now. I dont have poor circulation, but I am quite anemic. Hoping when I've been on iron tablets for a while I'll feel better.  I did try HRT, but found that I was breaking out all over with acne and putting on weight, so stopped it. I take all the recommended vitamins. I was in perimenopause, but think I might be entering the menopause proper now.  Not really sure what else to do about this particular sleeping problem.

• Posted

If you do find an answer - DON'T KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!biggrin

I can't remember the last time I had 8 hours unbroken sleep - and I do so miss it.

• Posted

Hi ladies. I suffered the same sleep problems for years, but have recently made a few changes that have really helped. (I slept for 7 hours straight last night!). In Feb this year, I gradually weaned myself off caffeine and now drink decaf tea and coffee. I also stopped reading in bed as I figured this was probably activating my brain, rather than making me sleepy. I still have the odd sleepless night and often sleep in two stages, which is weird. So for instance I can go to bed at 10:30 and sleep for 4 hours or so, then am awake for 2 hours, then doze off again and have a further 2/3 hours. I have also stopped getting out of bed if I can't sleep, as I was getting into a pattern  of being up in the night and that can't help matters either. Good luck to you all. X
    • Posted

Hi Pauline I also seem to sleep in shifts waking up at one or two in the morning and I'm going back to bed and waking up the second time in the morning.    I hear Valerian root which is a natural supplement, is supposed to work for this kind of thing.    It's supposed to help you sleep. 

Take care! 

• Posted

Hi Trish, valerian is excellent. I've taken it before for short periods and it does help kick start you back into a good sleep pattern. However, I wanted to see if I could do it without help from medication. I'm rather fed up with popping pills! I came off HRT 18 months ago after being on it for 15 years and of course the hot flushes and night sweats kicked in straight away. I take sage extract tablet every morning and a black cohosh tablet in the evening which has them at a manageable level, but I wonder if they will ever stop. Argh!  
    • Posted

For me Valerian is not an option at this time as I am on SSRI's for Anxiety.  Valerian does not go with my Citalopram. I am praying my Gyno has some answers for me in 2 weeks! This is crazy! 
  • Posted

Hi robin 

you could be in menopause due the the hystorectomy and not having a period for a while. 

If you are cold the sweating i would have you thyroid checked out, have your iron checked out, have you vitamin d checked out, have your vitamin b checked out and your estrogen levels and your progesterone levels checked out 

These could be causing you to feel cold the sweat and feel hot or it could be your blood pressure being up because at times when my heart rate and blood pressure are up i am hot and not feeling good and tired but when its normal i feel good but there are times i do get hot and then cold due to my thyroid and my hormone like at night i need the room nice and cool before i go to sleep because i can not sleep in a hot room 

but have those things checked out because they could be low 

• Posted

Thanks Susan, I have had my CBC and Thyroid work done and they are normal. Once I see my gyno I will know more I guess. When he did my check up and Pap test a couple weeks ago he said I was NOT  Menopausal yet. My breasts were still *firm* had milk ducts (or something like that) my vaginal area did not appear to be changing at this point either. (the color apparently changes) ...   I will look forward to getting my ultrasound and Pap and blood results from him!  I will ask hiom to check out the other levels at that visit as well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.