Frequency of catheterization during the day

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've only been self-catheterizing for about three weeks, and wonder if I need to catheterize every time I urinate, or, would it be sufficient to do so only three times a day: upon arising, at mid-day, and before retiring for the night?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I used to go by the clock.  I've been doing CIC for about 16 months now.  I don't measure every time now but, as someone said, you kinda get to know how much you're getting out.  Now, I'm mostly using urges.  Whereas at first (I was in total retention for the ultrasound test) I had to be retaining about 400 ml before I get an urge, now I get them at more like 250 - 350.  If your natural voids plus your cath volume is over 400 ml on a regular basis then you should probably do it more often.  From what you say, it sounds like you are able to do natural voids better than I.  Usually in the morning I have to just do it because I know its been at least 6 hours but I don't feel it at all.  I'm grateful its that way because I can typically sleep without having to get up most of the night. Often in the morning though I only have less than 300 ml which shouldn't be stretching my bladder out.  I understand the normal capacity of a typical male bladder is @400.  Trying to keep your residual under 100 ml sounds a little bit rigorous to me.

• Posted

Thanks, Keith. My morning total output is between 500-600cc/ml, so I'm probably drinking more liquids than I should late at night. I've only been at this for about a month, and have much to learn. My residual after urination when I started was 250-300ml, and is now down to about 150ml, so I guess that's progress.

• Posted

I do not void naturally at all.    I catheterize 5/6 times a day. there is no defined time . it is when you feel that you want to pee.   Dont hold it.   I used to think I could only use catheters four times a day, but I have learnt that you cannot go by times in between.  For example I may go three times in the morning and then another late afternoon, then after tea.  Then  before I go to bed at 10pm    Not always 6 times.. Sometimes 5 ....but never four.
  • Posted

My urologist says that the desired volume when you catheterize should be between 200 and 400 cc's each time.  So do the number of times that gets you that result.

Best of luck!

• Posted

My urologist said to try to keep the total volume in the bladder below 400cc, if possible, as that is about the natural volume for a bladder that has not been stretched for most people. Doing so will theoretically allow the bladder to shrink back to a more normal size over time. Mine was stretched so much that it was not unusual to naturally void about 4-500cc, then get another 250cc via the catheter. I'm now down to about 100-150cc each time I catheterize.

• Posted

OH,, so you were retaining somwhere around 700cc before you needed to void?  Were you going by an urge to pee at 700cc or did you just know it was time?  Are your urges coming at a lower retention?

So now you can tell you need to cath at a lower volume, indicating your bladder is rehabbing to some extent?  

• Posted

700cc was the max. Usually, it around 4-500cc, and I always get the urge to empty my bladder, even with less in it. It would seem, and I hope, that my bladder is shrinking back to a more normal size, and the combined amount I get from voiding and cathing  recently would seem to indicate that might be the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.