Frequency of your attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

my svt attacks are coming more frequently . has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

10 yrs ago mine were months apart. By last year they were daily with 3 hospital visits this year. I had ablation nearly 3 weeks ago. I was told they usually get worse with time and in my case this was correct. I had lived with them ok for 9 years when it got really bad

• Posted

thanks Deborah mine gave been a year or more apart except fir a very occasional few second ones . LAST few months more frequent until 3 in past 4 days led me to post this . good to hear its not unusual trying to avoid ablation hope you do well with yours!

• Posted

its normal, it does get worse as you get older because more pathways grow (this was explained to me at the hospital) so ablations will only work short term then it will comeback. i've had it 18 years. the first 17 years I didn't have a treatment only used vagal manoevres. 18th year (this year) it deteriorated episodes all the time running 4-15 hours. went to hospital regularly for adenosine (had it 7 times so far) so hospital doctor decided I needed a treatment he put me on metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice daily and I'm heaps better. hospital visits have stopped. still get an occasional one and if needed I take an extra 25mg metoprolol and it stops it. not going down the ablation road because I know it will come back with a drug treatment it will control it long term and if any other arrythmias startup it will control them as well

• Posted

Thanks Penny never heard that about new pathways interesting like you I don't want the ablation. i appreciate gearing that i am far from alone with the increased activity. Hope you continue to do well

• Posted

its normal, it does get worse as you get older because more pathways grow (this was explained to me at the hospital) so ablations will only work short term then it will comeback. i've had it 18 years. the first 17 years I didn't have a treatment only used vagal manoevres. 18th year (this year) it deteriorated episodes all the time running 4-15 hours. went to hospital regularly for adenosine (had it 7 times so far) so hospital doctor decided I needed a treatment he put me on metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice daily and I'm heaps better. hospital visits have stopped. still get an occasional one and if needed I take an extra 25mg metoprolol and it stops it. not going down the ablation road because I know it will come back with a drug treatment it will control it long term and if any other arrythmias startup it will control them as well

• Posted

I made the same choice and lucky even though ive had plenty of pvcs I had one svt in 12 years in my 20s I used to have them every couple of months now I'm in my 40s ive had one but I have tacycardia which I control with metropolol it also helps with my anxiety

• Posted

If you can get control with drugs then great. Sadly i cannot take any betablockers and the verapamil which i was taking was not stopping attacks. I know you can get new pathways after ablation but seems to be many years later so if you are fairly young the chances are higher as you live for longer!

• Posted

Mine were pretty infrequent for years until I had my ablation last summer. About 6 months after that I started getting episodes every 2 weeks. Over the following 6 months they gradually got more frequent until episodes were about every 2-3 days. We bumped my metoprolol up to 200mg and that's doing the trick for now, but I don't expect it to last. My new EP says the ablation could have potentially made it worse by irritating new areas or changing electrical pathways. The area where my problem comes from is also a tricky spot to ablate. On the plus side so far my post ablation episodes are easier to live with as they are relatively short and go away in a few minutes if I just sit or lay down and relax. But if they continue to get worse the next step they want me to try is Flecainide to go along with my beta blocker. I am 41 and do worry about how much worse it could get as I get older...

• Posted

I have had svt for two years. Initially the attacks were very infrequent and didn't last long. A couple of months ago they became much more frequent and would last for days. The hospital put me onto Flecainide 200 mg daily and they stopped immediately. While this is a great relief I think I might be better on a smaller dose, as I seem to get very tired in the afternoon. I understand that fatigue can be a side-effect for some people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.