Frequent awakenings every night and vivid dreaming

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have this problem since 2 Months now. I am on Chlropromizine 25 MG for Sleep. It used work perfectly now it stopped, now I need at-least 125 MG to Fall asleep and not dream. But this medicine have terrible side effects, one day all of a sudden my GP told me to stop taking them and use Melatonin instead, but they have absolutely no effect. Melatonin is like a fly that hit a windshield of a moving car. I am tired all the day and could't concentrate on Work or Anything. I can't Nap either.

While sleeping I don't have any recollection of what's happening in the surrounding. But I rembere all the Dreams and feel so Tired all the time.

Does Chlropromizine have any withdrawal symptoms? I am trying out an app named PZIZZ don't know if this will help.

Any help would be appreciated. Please Help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm just wondering what condition you were taking the chlorpromazine for. It's not a sleeping pill, but rather an antipsychotic, used mainly for schizophrenia, but occasionally for depression or anxiety.

You're quite right - difficulty in falling asleep is indeed one of the withdrawal effects of this medication, which should be tapered off slowly rather than being stopped abruptly. This is particularly true if you've been taking 125mg, which is a high dose. As one of its effects is to suppress REM (dreaming) sleep, it's also not unusual to experience vivid dreams on stopping the medication.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned if it was your GP who prescribed the chlorpromazine, as it's best prescribed by a psychiatrist who understands all its side-effects and withdrawal problems. Can you possibly ask to see a different GP, or even ask for referral to a psychiatrist for your anxiety? (I'm saying this on the basis that I assume your GP prescribed this medication in the first place because he felt you were suffering from anxiety.)

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you might be in for the long haul if you're going through sudden chlorpromazine withdrawal. However, you will eventually come through it and start sleeping again. I know from personal experience just how exhausting long periods of sleeplessness can be, as I suffered this problem for about 40 years. It started when I worked a totally unreasonable shift system for a year or so in my mid-20s, and continued till I retired from paid employment in my mid-60s. On the bright side, I can also confirm that this has had no long-term effects on my health.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. It was prescribed by a psychiatrist. But I don't have schizophrenia or Depression. I just had trouble sleeping, he mentioned that he prescribed me this drug because you don't get dependent or addicted. Where as sleeping pills are addictive.

• Posted

Well, it's certainly true that it isn't known to cause physical addiction. However, you might want to google its potential for tolerance, particularly when used as a sleep aid. Tolerance is when the same dose of a drug no longer has the desired effect, and the dose has to be constantly increased.

I must say I'm somewhat horrified that a psychiatrist would have prescribed such a powerful drug merely for anxiety (which I'm guessing was his diagnosis) but as a former nurse, sometimes I'm not surprised by anything the medical profession thinks up!

We do, however, have a responsibility ourselves not to constantly pressure our doctors for medication. I'm wondering how long you'd had the insomnia before you started consulting doctors about it, and how anxious you became. We all go through periods of insomnia in our lives, and often the best thing is to try and work through it. "Talking therapies" like CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) can provide a better long-term solution for anxiety-related insomnia. They don't offer the immediate results of drugs and they require a lot of work and cooperation on the patient's behalf, but they don't come back and bite you further down the line like medication does. (And that goes for any kind of sleep medication.)

Alternative therapies (homeopathy, acupuncture, hypnosis etc.) can be effective for some people, but they also take a long time to work. I suspect the same is going to be true for the Pzizz app. I totally sympathise with what you're going through, having been there myself, but you may find in the long run that the best thing is to accept your sleep problems and work around them. In spite of the horror stories some people post on forums like this one, lack of sleep won't harm your health even if it makes you feel exhausted, nor is it a sign of serious disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.