Frequent heart palpitations, feeling lightheaded...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here and was hoping for some advice.

About a week ago I had a very strong heart palpitation, like three or four VERY strong beats which then made me feel extremely lightheaded and as if I was going to faint, which I didn't.  After a couple of hours I felt ok again, but then since that evening I have had this weird fluttery, palpitation like feeling almost constantly.  Even as I am sitting here now I have felt a few skipped beats which make me feel weak and a bit lightheaded.  

I went to the Doctors last Friday, they did an ECG which all came back as normal however during this I didn't experience any palpitations or the like, so I am wondering how much this can trusted to detect an arrhythmia? 

I have been booked in for a blood test on Thursday to check for Anaemia, Overactive Thyroid, amongst other things I would imagine.  

This has been pretty much a constant thing for over a week now and there is nothing particular that is setting it off.  I vape, which I stopped but this had no effect on this feeling I am having, I am not stressed out and this certainly doesn't feel to me like anxiety - I have through my life obviously felt anxious at stages and this is not that feeling; it feels like my heart is beating very fast but my pulse seems to be normal.  I also feel it at the base of the neck/throat, like a lump.  Like I want to take a really deep breath, but that doesn't even help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and than you in advance for your help smile Sophie.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had something like this. The NHS could never co-incide their ECGs with my episodes so I bought my own ECG from amazon, That way I could capture it when I had it and showed it to the doctors who then took it very seriously indeed. Ventricular Tachycardia.
    • Posted

Wow that's really interesting, thank you.  It has calmed down so much this week, I had a blood test today but that's obviously not going to highlight Ventricular Tachycardia or the like.  If it continues then I may request a 24 hour heart monitor, and if not then look into purchasing my own.  I'll see what the blood tests come back with as I am hoping it is just something like lack of Iron, etc. 

Thanks again for your reply Peter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.