Frequent urge to urinate is destroying my sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some background- I am 29 years old, male, am a smoker, have a reasonable diet and exercise regularly.  I used to take quetiepine for anxiety, came off them a little over 3 years ago.  They helped me sleep, a lot, however I noticed something odd.  I constantly had to go to the toilet when trying to sleep.  Sleeping day or night, I would need to go.  And when I do go, I sometimes have trouble getting started, and usually very little comes out.  It isn't as if I am bursting, it is just a small discomfort in my abdomen, letting out a little urine relieves it for a time.  Often it feels like there is still some there to come out, but it never does, not till later.  On a good night, I only get up twice or three times.  Most nights it is between 4-6 times, sometimes as many as 7.  This is every single night.  This often forces me to awaken before my alarm clock, as I usually need to go from anywhere from 30 mins-1h 30 mins before it is due, and can never fall back over.  It has been like this for over 3 years now.  I am constantly shattered.  I often take dizzy spells during the day and lose balance. 

I used to drink caffinated tea, but stopped.  I tried only drinking water for about 5-6 weeks, made no difference.  I tried only taking onboard a small amount of fluids, the only difference it made was that my insides hurt. 

I haven't been to a GP yet, as I am worried that I am wasting their time.  Has anyone else had symptoms like this?  I am contemplating finding sleeping pills or something, hopefully ones strong enough to knock me out.  It has been years since I had a good night sleep (3, and 8 without the aid of medication), it is starting to really get to me now. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,i have  same symptons.My advise is do see your GP for the nesessary cheks it could be you have PROSTATE ENLARGMENT and get treatment before it gets worse .

• Posted

Hello,

I also get up between 6 and 20 times a night. Last night was about 20. I've dealt with this about 18 years or so. I've seen a urologist most of that time with no help at all. I recently got an order for using catheters. I told her it helps alot, but actually it's not. I've read about several others using them (intermittant) all night long using a leg band and tape. Right now, i'm waiting to get this idea off the ground since the F14 size caused alot of bleeding, which scared me alot. I've heard this works, afterall, you're draining all night without the need to get out of bed.

• Posted

Go to your gp and get a referral to a urologist. It could be something that can be so easily fixed but only a urologist can tell you that. There are a million conditions that can cause frequent urination in men including bladder tuberculosis, Bacterial prostatits, bladder neck obstruction etc etc etc don't wait go and see a urologist you are too young to be doing nothing about it. Let me know how you g I.
  • Posted

Go and see a urologist now. You shouldn't be urinating that much at night. It might be something that can be easily fixed like bladder tuberculosis or prostatitis so go and see your doctor now and get referral. To a urologist.
  • Posted

Got up about 20 times last night too. I'VE seen urologists for about 20 years. All those things you're mentioning, i don't think any of them checked. All they ALLL...gave me was trying this pill, see me in one month.

None of the pills worked. Mostly because of drowsyness.

i tried what is called inter-stem  (a device implant, which is basically a thin wire in your spine). That didn't help one bit either. Had that in me about 8 years now.

Last time i saw the HEAD urologist was 8 months or so ago. He told me he was out of options for me. and come back in 6 months. Nice isn't it.

• Posted

Have you had a bladder biopsy to check for ulceration, have you had video urodynamics to check for bladder function or bladder neck problems. Have they suggested interstitial cystitis. You don't have to live with such dysfunction. Over active bladder is largely treatable.
  • Posted

I have had a similar problem for over 10 years. I'm now 36. Whenever i had the urge to urinate i couldn't go or very little would come out and I'd have to go frequently and repeatedly through the night. I was initially diagnosed with an overactive bladder but the medication did nothing. I too tried stopping 'irritants' such as caffeine but this had no impact. After lots of pressuring my GP i went to see a urologist. The first test was a flow test to see how much i passed when i urinated. Despite the scan showing i had nearly 1 litre in my bladder i could barely pass a drop. They suddenly took my case very seriously. I had a cystoscopy the next day (not pleasant) and the final diagnosis was that i have a restricted bladder neck. A different test showed that my bladder muscles do work properly but my bladder is stretched. There is an op that can fix the restricted bladder neck but it is only 50% succesful and can cause permanent retrograde ejaculation. I have chosen not to have this op as i do not have children and the side effects could make this difficult. I now self catheterise 5 times a day. This is not as bad as it sounds and i now sleep all night which is an amazing feeling after 10 years of getting up 3 times a night. I will probably have the op in 4/5 years when i (hopefully) have a family and don't mind the risks. Catheterisation has improved my life hugely. They are free on the NHS as well.
    • Posted

The bladder neck incision is about eighty five percent successful not 50. Percent. The biggest concern is retrograde ejaculation. You can ask your surgeon to do a bladder neck incision with a single incision instead of 2 incisions and this greatly reduces the chance of retrograde ejaculationg down to about 20 percent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.