Frequent urination 2 months post surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 8 weeks post prolapse surgery. I've had anterior and posterior repair and also sacrospinous fixation. I am still very very achy if I walk much or am on my feet. I am also waking 2/3 times at night to have a wee. I've been for my post op check with my GP (not my consultant! Which I found strange) I wasn't examined internally and I worry that something may not be right?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Frequency is common following an anterior repair because the bladder is handled during the surgery and it can take a while to settle down. You are only 8 weeks post op so it's understandable you will feel achy and tired so my advice is listen to your body and if you are tired rest, don't push yourself or you'll regret it the next day. I'm not a fan of GP's undertaking post op checks and feel it's important the Urogynaecologist does this and an internal examination is necessary but consultants are putting this onto the GP more and more. Have you read the Useful Resource on the Genitourinary home page? There's lots of interesting information there.

• Posted

Sorry Wizzy I meant to ask if you told your GP about the frequency? It may be wise to mention it, he may want a sample for a urine test.
    • Posted

Hi yes I've taken a few urine samples in and have had a couple of infections but this time the dr is trying me on tablets for an overactive bladder- I've been taking them 5 days and no change yet.

• Posted

Tablets for an overactive bladder are really effective but you won't notice any difference yet, you need to give it a week or two before they start to work on your bladder. Don't worry they should help but if they don't there are others your GP can prescribe, some work differently to others. Some of the frequency as I said could be the result of the surgery and that will settle down. I presume your consultant has discharged you now but I'm sure your GP will help with this xx

• Posted

Thank you so much you have put my mind at rest. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for years and I worry about everything! We have a holiday booked to New York on oct 20th and I really want to feel better for that!
    • Posted

You will love New York so now you have something to look forward to make sure you rest and takes things really easy so you can enjoy yourself x
    • Posted

Thank you so much - wish I'd discovered this forum weeks ago! Xx

• Posted

Hi

Do you not have any follow ups at all with your consultant?

If not could you ring the secretary for the consultant or ask GP to re refer you?

X

• Posted

Hi no I don't have any follow ups - I was discharged from The hospital straight back to my gp. I was admitted back to hospital a week after my op with heavy bleeding and spent 4 days on intravenous antibiotics. I had an internal examination then (the most painful thing ever) and have been worried ever since that it did some damage but my gp assures me it wouldn't have.

• Posted

I think your GP is correct Wizzy so please try not to worry. You are still recovering from major surgery and being anxious won't help. 

• Posted

I have never heard of consultants not following you up but I noticed Matron has mentioned this does happen. If you were happy with this particular consultant, you could ask the GP to refer you back. If this is ok with the GP. Hopefully you have a GP that is approachable and easy to talk to. If not speak to another GP at the surgery. X
  • Posted

This may not be what is going on, but I don't think it can hurt you so it's worth a try.

I read that it isn't unusual for your pelvic floor to go into spasm from the trauma of the surgery.  You can have urinary symptoms of that like urgency and incomplete evacuation.  Going to a pelvic floor physio can help with that (especially with the evaluation) but one of the best things you can do for that is deep diaphragmatic breathing.  You can do it on your own (knees up on a pillow helps the pelvic floor relax) or try a very gentle yoga video.  Just don't hurt yourself doing something your body isn't ready for smile

the he breathing may not end up helping but I can't see it hurting so maybe it's worth a try.  

• Posted

Thank you Dorry - I will certainly give it a go! Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.