Frequent Urination... 23 Year Old male

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

A long story but I will give a quick summary... I am looking for help to understand why I would have all of a sudden started having frequent urination about 7 months ago. All of a sudden I was noticing that I was using the toilet a whole lot more, sometimes would feel like going straight after I'd been but nothing would come out. Since this started, I have had a full blood check including blood sugars for Diabetes which came back normal (thank god!!) and about 4 urine tests also come back with no abnormalities. It seems to be that I can hold on for quite some time without having to go (meaning I go a normal amount of times in a day, perhaps 6-7), however, this gets very uncomfortable. The other interesting thing is I hardly ever wake up during the night to go to the bathroom, only once now and then. 

The doctor has linked it to anxiety (it all started during a really stressful time last year) or perhaps damage to pelvic floor (it also started at a time when I really stepped up at the gym, including a lot of abs workouts that I never do). 

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did your doctor check for infections (bladder, kidney)? Also, do you know if he checked your kidney function? 

Do you workout out and take any supplements or have you started any new medications ? 

• Posted

I don’t believe any kidney function test was done? However I thought infections would show up on one of the many urine tests? 

I’m on no medications or supplements either. 

• Posted

Thank you! I’m not sure if it’s worth noting I did have a ultrasound as well which checked prostate, kidney, bladder but I gather that doesn’t check the kidney function so good idea. 

I guess it’s hard to believe something like anxiety could cause such strong physical symptoms. 

• Posted

I have learnt over that past two years that anxiety is the worst culprit. Very powerful.

In regards to anxiety, speaking with a mental health professional helped me a lot. 

In regards to the kidney function test, it just a urinalysis and blood test with focus on kidneys properties. Better safe than sorry. 

• Edited

Worthwhile to have kinder function tested, what your explaining could very well be attributed to anxiety if all tests are clear. 

• Edited

Well looks like stress/anxiety could be a likely culprit. I took your advice to look into a kidney test only to look back at my results and see this was already done in my initial blood tests. Thank you for the suggestion, glad to realise this was already done. 
  • Posted

Hey read your post I think I have something similar to yours so I realized that I started going to bathroom frequently it's been bugging me all urine teat say infection so took some meds but it still didn't stop ultrasound is normal, not diabetes so how did you deal with yours mentally cause I'm freaking out 

• Posted

Hey Phillip! The best advice I can give is to remember that if you’ve been to the doctor and they can’t find anything wrong, chances are it’s nothing serious. 

I would go back and see if there is still an infection there, if there isn’t I would be confident it’s just that you’re over analysing and looking for that constant sensation and urge to urinate. For example if I’m busy and distracted at work I can go for a solid 5 hours without a thought about the bathroom. 

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.