Frequent urination

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I have a cardiology appointment on Friday, and instead of looking like an idiot I'd rather ask you as a community. I get sudden onset of frequent urination and go approx 5 times an hour. At night, it's at least 8 times. It's mainly after an Afib episode however it can go some days and come other days. I heard it may be to do with afib (doctor said that they traced paroxysmal afib on the holter) I'm 17 & feel this isn't anything to do with my age. 

For background info, my grandparent suddenly died of heart attack and had ischemic heart disease. They know I have Afib but unsure why. 

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes.. frequent urination is caused by your body producing a hormone in response to atrial fib in order to expel sodium from the body.  I had it explained to me when I was in emerg for flutter.. Anyways:  I hate it!!! Makes going for long walks or drives difficult. ... eh?
  • Posted

Hi ,

i suffer from paroxysmal a fib and only seem to have attacks at night when asleep. It always comes with many visits to the loo as CDM2  has explained it's a body safety mechanism. I have lost 2 kilos in weight overnight just due to this.

• Posted

I'm currently in Afib using the app HeartRateFree as a guide, however it's varying rapidly as per usual (from 110 down to 60 and back) ! It's very irritating!

• Posted

is that your BP? or your heart rate?  The only time I had wild fluctuations was when I was in atrial flutter, not afib!  
  • Posted

Yes same here frequent peeing when in afib. Let's hope you grow out of it, I had it for 20 + years before it was diagnosed and was told I was a hypochondriac or suffering panic attacks.

Meds sorted it for a few years but decided 2011 to go for ablation 👍Good luck annoying but don't panic it's not heart disease.

• Posted

Yes, same here when in an episode. Constantly back and forth to the bathroom. I have to consciously re-hydrate when it stops as being dehydrated.........causes me to go into an afib episode!! Gotta luv PAF......not!!!
    • Posted

Yup.. need to rehydrate.. and you think.. sheesh.. just more liquid that's going to want to come out.  One thing I am doing is consciously eating more salt. I normally have a salt-free diet and that is not good for afib.. So.. anyhoo: Thank God it's intermittent!!

• Posted

More salt?? I'm the opposite. Have had to cut right back or off I go. Last weekend, got tempted by salted peanuts. Just ate about a dozen, then off we go within maybe ten minutes..........did enjoy them though!! Paid the price for the next 7hrs!!

• Posted

Interesting.. Dehydration can trigger afib.  Salt can stop dehydration (marathon runners eat salt before a run).. It's balance I suppose..  Keeping all those electrolytes (magnesium, sodium, pottasium and calcium) in balance.  I follow a good vegetarian whole food organic diet and did endurance sports years ago. So, I'm familiar with  a lot of the theory.. But.. to tell you the truth, my afib triggers are beyond me.. Has a mind of its own!!! rolleyes

• Posted

During and after my Afib I have similar experience, after an hour or so it goes away.
  • Posted

Funny enough, the one who just fobbed me off and gave me new medication said it wasn't related at all, so who knows. Thanks for all your comments (I've read them all) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.