Frequent urination at the onset of afib

Posted , 43 users are following.

My afib ususlly starts at night. I experience a severe need to urinate numerous times for the first 3-4 hours of sleep. I'm tslkinh about 10+times. My doctor says its rare and is caused by the production of BNP, an enzyme from the ventricles.

Anybody else have this problem?

11 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes , absolutely !! I have severe bladder incontinence a long with manyother issues. A Urologist couldn't tell me why but suggested surgery ,etc. I refused because he couldn't tell me why .

A cardiologist patted me on the back and said there were no problems with my heart. Due to a great Dr. , she insisted I see another cardiologist. He listened , said he had no clue what was wrong with me but suggested implanting a loop reader . He

Saying it would read my heart 24/7 for 3 years..we went to his office a few days later to have the nurse remove the bandage. Once the nurse saw the results of the loop reader , in came the Dr saying my heart was in Afib and was staying in Afib!!well over 200 heart beats most of the time..he immeadiately put me in meds for Afib and meds to avoid a stroke. After a week of meds the incontinence is totally gone. !!

If you are dealing with Afib , this loop reader plant is a blessing, your monitored 24/7. The readings go right on my phone.etc

• Posted

I've had lone afib instances for 30 years. Have experienced the same at onset often.

• Posted

I have had this problem, and when I brought it up to my heart doctor, in a major hospital, she never heard anything about frequent urination and AFIB. and told me to see a urologist. It bothers me most at night, I have had it two of the last three nights and besides affecting my sleep, it worries me, I see this original post by Larry was four years ago, any advice, or suggestions on what to do would be appreciated
    • Posted

I had a discussion on this with the ward sister when I was in hospital having a pacemaker fitted. She said that  getting up to urinate during the night often triggered an AF attack in patients. She also agreed that passing a hard stool can stimulate the vagus nerve and start AF. 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with A-fib a few years ago. I take a prescription "Bisoprolol" and a blood thinner to avoid stroke.

With my first incident, my heart was pounding so I went to emergency. They placed me in the "trauma" unit as my BP was over 200. I was there several hours being stabilized and I had to ask to use the bathroom (pee) about every 15 min. I had to keep telling them when I had to pee so they could disconnect the "leads" I was hooked up to. Got to be embarrassing. They didn't have a toilet in the trauma unit. I used one out in the hall. Finally asked for a commode. I still have to pee every 15 min or so whenever I go into A-fib. Sometimes, that's my first signal that I'm in A-fib. My sister asked me today if that happened to me cuz it was happening to her too. And yet, no doctor seems to know of it.

• Posted

Frequent urination during a-fib is a well documented side effect. I have lost as much as half a kilo during the night. Dehydration is also bad for the heart so it is important to keep fluids up to compensate.

• Posted

I only urinate at night, nothing else, I am 70 years old and probably have an enlarged prostrate, and go at least 2 times a night anyway, but when this AFIB hits, I go at least once an hour, and there is allot of urine. I drink some water when this occurs because I am afraid there will be no fluid left in me
  • Posted

OMG - I cannot believe this! I have had the urination thing going on with my Afib forever. Just found out about the Afib two years ago, but had Supraventricular Tachycardia for 30 years, which is not fun, but better than having Afib. Apparently these thigs progress... Every time I told a doctor about the peeing thig though, they all looked me like I was crazy. My bad episodes would ALWAYS start with an insane need to urinate and the relentless 200 to 250 per minute heart rate with crazy irregular Afib would not subside even with intravenous meds like Adenosine, Verapamil and Amiodarone until I was able to emply my bladder. Even in the ER they did not believe me when I told them that I must pee. At a really bad episode, when they game me Adenosine 3 times in hour (60, 120, and then 180), I finally just peed all over the table with six people surrounding me and just tell me to hold my pee until my heart rate goes down. Sure enough, the crazy heart rate with Armageddon going on in my chest finally slowed down.With smaller episodes (sometimes 100-200 times a day lasting 3-6 seconds, I just have to pee every 20 minutes. No wonder every time I was taken into the ER, I was severely dehydrated. You would think that some doctors would make the connection! This has been very helpful; thank you all!!! I am having an atrial fibrillation ablation done on February 13th. Not looking forward to it. Other than the Afib thing, I am generally pretty healthy, but 64 years old and about 30 lbs overweight (all gained in the past two years, which I am sure had something to do with my more frequent episodes). Don't appear to have any other heart disease, although a few months ago my troponin I level went up for two days indicating some damage to my heart because of the fireworks that I endured in my chest for over an hour (finally stopped with intravenous Amiodarone).Good luck all!

• Posted

This is happening to me right now, my AF started about an hour and a half ago and I've lost count how many visits to the toilet I've made.

• Posted

Hi Larry, It's not rare at all! lots of people with a-fib complain of the same thing. I can't remember what causes it but I have lost up to a kilo in weight overnight. Even so, don't hold back on fluids because that can cause the arrhythmia in the first place.

• Posted

even i had frequent urination.

checked with my doctor and he said it's coz the heart releases a hormone which causes you to urinate.

actually, this leads to dehydration and fatigue and tiredness the next day. so keep watering up regularly and also take ample salts.

that's the only thing you can do.

been there done that and doing that myself

• Posted

I usually have this happen to me as well. During and after i will be urinating probably every 5-10 min. Very frustrating, as my afib usually occurs at night.

• Posted

Wow! I found this thread tonight when researching Afib. Its suddenly gotten worse lately. I was looking to see if some other problems I'm having could be a result of Afib getting worse. I'm not on a Beta blocker right now. However because it is getting worse I was thinking I may have to consider going on the meds. What floored me was the CONSTANT peeing at night that I see y'all having. I would have never linked that to my Afib. So glad I found this info. I have a porto potty that I used after leg surgeries when I couldn't walk. Its next to my bed . I pee so many times...I'm so exhausted at night and barely have energy to get up. :0( I also get dizzy and fall when getting up at night to walk to my bathroom so I have the potty next to the bed. I wake up exhausted every morning and tired all day. After reading everyone else's stories, I've decided to call my Cardiologist tmrw. I want to try the Beta blocker. I want to thank everyone who has shared their personal experiences on here. Now I don't feel so alone suffering with this. I've been so embarrassed about having a porto potty by my bed. Now understand the problem. I'm so grateful to learn this information.

• Posted

All with Atrial fibrillation should be screened for Primary Aldosteronism by ARR (Aldosterone to Renin Ratio). High Aldosterone and high salt diet engenders cardiac enlargement and drives kaliuresis (the process of excreting potassium in the urine) thus lowering cellular potassium & setting the stage for the “perfect atrial storm”.

Paul

• Posted

I've only just had my second episode of A-fib - last night- and initially thought having to pee every 15 minutes was very odd. Wide awake at 2am and Googling the symptoms, I see that frequent urination is quite common at onset. I was also looking for ways to stop an episode and saw that drinking a glass of cold water could help. I tried that, and another and various other techniques eg deep breathing. Finally, after yet another trip to loo (8 times in 3 hours) I downed a full glass of water quickly and felt my heart settle again.

• Posted

That has always been a good tick with the cold water. Someone I worked with about 30 years ago was told to do that by his consultant if he didn't have his pills with him.

Do you measure how much urine you pass during an incident ? I keep a plastic jug in the toilet for that if I have an episode. The other week I passed 600ml followed quickly by 400 mls and then 200mls.

• Posted

I didn't measure, but each time I went I seemed to have a fairly full bladder. This was only second episode and the increased urination didn't happen last time. I've an appointment with GP tomorrow so I suppose I'll be referred for tests. I'm not yet on any medication for it, which is why I was trying any self help ideas. Another idea was to dunk head in cold water- but didn't try that!

• Posted

Put ice in the water as well, I find it really helps, I think it's to do with the vagus nerve.

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe - might try ice next time- though hope it won't be for a while. Saw GP and now have Alivecor home ECG. As I haven't yet got proper diagnosis, this device might help.

GP hadn't come across this increased urination - but I found this forum very helpful - especially reading at 3 am in the middle of an episode.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.