Frequent urination - infection, kidney stones, OAB, something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone.

I've been dealing with this problem for a little over three weeks now. I literally always feel the urge to pee, even right after I've finished going. The symptoms just suddenly appeared one day. At first I thought it was a UTI, but went to an urgent care clinic, they did a urinalysis and urine culture, everything came back negative. She gave me Pyridium for the discomfort but it didn't help. The next weekend, I went to a different urgent care place; they did a urinalysis and looked at it under the microscope, they said there might be a "few bacteria," gave me Macrobid, that didn't help either. A few days after this, I started noticing a mild back and abdominal pain. I went to a gyno the next week, urinalysis came back negative again. I told her about my theory that it might be caused by Mycoplasma or Ureaplasma (I had been doing a lot of research about things like this since it started, and it seemed likely); she doubted that I had the infection but gave me azithromycin anyway, a 500 g dose the first day and 250 grams the next four days. I'm on the last day and have noticed no improvement. Otherwise, she said she thought I might have a small kidney stone and should just wait to see if it passes.

However, I still think that it may be some kind of infection, as I masturbated the night before I started noticing the symptoms, and didn't pee immediately after, like I usually do. I also used to have basically chronic BV and think this might be related. The constant urge to urinate is my main symptom, but the back/abdominal pain, though still mild, have been getting a little worse and more persistent, and it was pretty bad this morning for about an hour. My bladder was hurting too. But the pain just suddenly went away after about an hour.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going on? This is stressing me out so much. I'm worried I will never find a cure or treatment for this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention, I was concerned that if it was Ureaplasma/Mycoplasma, the bacteria I have would be resistant because I've taken azithromycin before (a single dose when there was a possibility I had chlamydia - turned out I didn't have it), but she didn't want to give me a different antibiotic instead.

• Posted

from the sound of it, it sounds like you may want to get a renal and bladder ultrasound. The back pain could suggest issues with your kidneys, nothing serious tho, due to there being no blood in your urine. The main thing that could be going on is that you might have urine retention in your bladder causing you to urinate more often, and you feel the need to empty your bladder. The urine retention can be obstructive (kidney/bladder stones, abnormalities) or non obstructive(medicine or neurological problems caused by the spine). If you do the ultrasound and they don't find any urinary retention or physical abnormalities, you might want to look into kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles, as they may be weak resulting in frequent urination. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.