Frequent uti's

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been self catheterising 3 or four times a day fro the last twelve years, and because of this I have up to two years ago been the subject of frequent urinary infections. I was treated each time with an antibiotic.

However purely by chance as a result of a conversation with a fellow sufferer I started to take Methenamine Hippurate twice a day am and pm. Before being given a script for this drug I had to give a urine sample to ensure that my urine was acidic. I passed this test and since 13 July, 2010 I have not had the faintest sign of a uti my urine being clear as crystal. Hope this helps any other sufferers out there and the more common antibitotics have not helped.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Duffcooper,

Thanks for sharing this. I also have repeated UTI's and have had to have long term anti-biotics every now and again.

It's a rotten thing you have to live with, hope all continues well for you. Best wishes.

• Posted

The self cathetrisation is no problem with no inection but the period up to 2 years ago I was plagued with them often leading to hospitalisation or calling out district nurses at some ungodly hour to insert indwelling catheter, but thanks to the drug I have described life is normal.
  • Posted

I also found Methenam. Hippur. really helpful, but had to buy it via the internet, as neither the hospital department nor the g.p.s  had heard of it so wouldn't prescribe. 

Last week I hit a stumbling block in trying to order some, & I suspect it may have

been withdrawn or something  ---- can anyone confirm this ?  Thanks ! 

• Posted

Hi I am still being prescribed Merthanine Hippurate no problem about NHS supply.

At my last gp practice I was the only person in the practice known to take this drug.

I have recently moved to Wetherby and the first gp I saw had never heard of it but I have had no difficultu getting it on repeat prescrption, ikt is effective for me and is still controlling infection.  Go back to your GP ask them to look it up on internet  do not guive up.

• Posted

Hi I am still being prescribed Methanine Hippurate no problem about supply via NHS.  At my last practice in Harrogate I was the only person known to take this drug.

I have recently moved to Wetherby and the first gp I Saw had never heard of it.

It is still controlling infection so try again with your GP.

• Posted

Hi Duffcooper

After been messed around by the urologist team at my local hospital (due to over loading work) and minutes before going to the operating theatre, I was told to go home as the type of operation scheduled was not the right one, for my enlarged benine prostate, I was left with a large cathere inside me, for a period of 6 months, which resulted to my bladder becoming lazy, while investigations were going on, to be told that my enlarged prostate was not cancerous.

I was advised to try self catheterising and ever since, March 2012, I have been self catheterising 3 or 5 times a day/night and the quality of my life had improved dramatically. I was feeling very healthy and done easily all my regular activities, including gym 3 times a week.

Unfortunately last June, I wake up one day with alll the syptoms of a Urine infection, so went ASAP to my GP, who gave me a course of antbiotics. I had plenty of Urine and blood tests and ever since I have gone trough any type of antibiotis that I never had in my whole previous life of 69 years. I feel very weak and hardly can move around my house.

Last weekend, 26 August went back to GP, who gave me a 7 day course of Ciprofloxacin to clear the discharge from my Urine tract. On Monday morning I wake up with an extremely enlarged left testicle. I was advised to continue the course, as it appears I had a Urine infection there too and I was told the swallen part will go down during the next few days.

Now more than 48 hours down the line, with the blood having cleared from my bladder, no more white discharge, passing unrine easily, find my self in very uncomfortable ackeing position due to my expanded testicle. Tommorrow will pass the info to my GP about Methenamine Hippurate ... and see what he has to say...

Thank you for the information.

• Posted

Please advise me of how you go on with GP.  For Meth Hippurate to work PH of urine must be 6 (acidic) best of luck I am still using Meth Hip.
  • Posted

i included a link to NHS CHOICES WEBSITE for Methenamine Hippurate that has gone to moderation.

Like Duffcooper I also have to  self-catheterize 4-5 times daily and was prone to repeat UTI.

I went the usual NHS gamut of various antibiotic protocols but long term low dose, and short term high dose then long term high dose and even though I was methodical in following Dr's orders I still developed antibiotic resistance and found there were no antibiotics left that would resolve the problem.

At this point I turned to the internet and found some research by M Zasloff

"Antimicrobial peptides, innate immunity, and the normally sterile urinary tract."

the full text is online free if you search using the title.

Making your own antimicrobial peptides as required means your body is better able to deal with infection before it gets a hold.

Vitamin D3 is required to upregulate these antimicrobial peptides. If you want to understand more there is a paper here

"Human antimicrobial peptides and proteins."

that is free full text online.

I found I needed to get my Vitamin D3 level up above 125nmol/l to get totally rid of repeat UTI

I'd started on 4000iu vitamin D3 daily but that wasn't enough and moving up to 5000iu daily and using sunlight in summer and a tanning light in winter made all the difference.

Magnesium is also helpful as that increases the actions of vitamin D and helps raise 25(OH)D levels faster.

Like Duffcooper I've not had a UTI for years now so do be aware you can beat UTI and you don't have to go the repeat antibiotics route.

It does help if you are taking antibiotics to use a PROBIOTIC between the antibiotic doses. The trouble with antibiotics is they kill of all your gut bacteria the good as well as the pathogens but it's the pathogens that tend to reestablish quicker so the more antibiotics you have to use the worse your gut flora become and the more prone you are to antibiotic resistant infections. Thats why using your own produce antimicrobial peptides is the best long term solution.

• Posted

Thanks Ted,

I will look at your suggestions and let you know the result in due course.

• Posted

I suffered from chronic UTI for years, constantly taking antibiotics. I have tried many things to no avail.

About 2 years ago, I bought a hot water bottle for winter. Every night, I would fill it up with the hottest possible water from tap and sleep with it between my legs for at least 30 mins. 

Amazingly, I have had only 1 infection since then. I use it every night (even in summer and without any symptoms). Whenever I have the slightly tinglng down there, I would use one immediately. 

Hard to believe, but I do want to share this with all women who suffer from chronic UTI. I have been there and am happy to say that I have found something that works for me. 

I think the key is to use it EVERY night. I normally put it aside after 30 mins or so and fall asleep.

Give it a try.

• Posted

Hi, I've also just been prescribed this drug. One big problem I'm having is swallowing the tablet because of the taste.  Just wondered whether you had any problems with it 

• Posted

Dear Linda,

You are right they are not pleasant to take I suggest a teaspoon of honey at same time.

kind regards

Brian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.