Friend's attitude hurts a little

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi all.  I have a dear friend who is 77, and some years she had PMR in the worst way.  The dr (who is also mine) said she had the highest SED rate he'd ever seen.  She went on Pred. and gradually came down to 5 mg.  She also started eating non inflammatory diet and gluten free diet.  Well, I'm 100 pounds heavier than she is, and I eat fairly healthily (but can hardly exercise), and the PMR won't go down even on 19 mg, which I've tried to get used to this past month with the "dead slow" method you have.  I'm still in pain in my arms and shoulder too too much.

Anyway she called the other day and gave me a lecture on giving up milk, bread, etc. and told me "you won't get well until you try."  Is it really that successful - the diet - or is she just lucky?  

Besides PMR I have fibromyalgia, major depression, and arthritis.  

5 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

To all of you trying to lose weight, yes it is a problem, but hey I gained over 6 stone and then lost it within 6 weeks of hitting 5mg.  So there you go.

I have never had a sweet tooth, always ate proper dairy, only had ready made about once a week and fish and chips once a week.

However, some people have found the 5:2 diet works wonders and they don't feel hungry. 

When people comment on Chipmunk cheeks or your Moonface, tell them oh well my wrinkles have gone. Buffalo Hump, it will disappear eventually and so will the Michelin Tyre.

Depression, can be sorted and I suggest you book a double appointment with your GP and discuss the whole situation with s/he.

Hang on in there - there is light at the end of this damn tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Lodger, how long were you on pred to gain over 6 stone?  That is amazing it came off in 6 weeks.
    • Posted

The first two years of GCA, I started on 60mg, twice I reached 20mg and then had to go back up to 60mg, took time to get inflammation under control (not unusual). What was unusual was the the axis, (hippocampus, pituitary, adrenal) went awol again and the enormous back pain stopped me from walking and I ended up in a wheelchair for quite a while.  As time went on, that sort of subsided and I became known as the 'Brandy Queen' and was able to dump the Chair for zimmer frame and walking sticks.  Mind no more than about two car lengths at a time.   We had fun with the wheelchair, especially when we went to buy new shoes and I got up and walked in the shop to try them out - faces were a picture and we fell about laughing.

5 year down the line, remission, weight loss, Bowen Therapy (which I wished I had triend sooner.   No walking stick, no zimmer frame, no palstic garden seat in the shower.   Normality, well nearly as I was now 5 years older. 

PS as my medics all said   I am a medics nightmarefrown  I could have told them that years ago.

Just keep smiling. lol

• Posted

Lodger, you mentioned you gained 6 stone.  How is the word stone related to weight?

I agree, it is a damn tunnel but there will be light at the end.  I Never liked any kind of tunnel - too chlosterphobic.

Audrey

• Posted

Wow - "lost 6 stone in 6 weeks "  - I've never heard anything like it!  I would have imagined you'd be collapsing all over the place!!!  Most people would be happy if they lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks.  Are you sure it was 6 stone?!?  It's just mind boggling!
    • Posted

Lodger - wishful thinking.....!lol   6 stone in 6 months is certainly no mean feat though!
    • Posted

Everyday I learn something new from what has become  my PMR/ GCA friends.  This morning's  token of knowledge-a stone is equal to 6 pounds.

What would I do without Google?

From what I have read from Debbie and others in this group and myself as well it is my opinion that stress is a contributing factor to PMR/GCA.  It may weaken the immune system over the years.  

After my body started to wind down and I was Feeling a normalcy and  some peacefulness in my life that's when the demon struck.  

• Posted

Twin

I did not do a thing, in fact the first time I noticed it a skirt dropped off in a supermarket exclaim  No I did not blush, I laughed and hitched it up  - it probably made somebodies day or an amusing conversation in a pub (no I don't do dinner parties). wink

• Posted

Google got it wrong,  1 stone = 14 pounds.

and just in case

One 1 kilogram kg equals = 2.20 pounds ..

• Posted

Sorry, my fault, a typo.  😥. Google was right and I was wrong and besides I just woke up. 

i use an iPad or my phone to send messages and a slip of one finger could change what I want to convey.  

That was a remarkable amount of weight loss you had in a short time.

Did it make a considerable difference in the way you felt?

• Posted

I was already pleased because the GCA had gone into remission and I had had it confirmed.  It did mean I had to go out and buy clothes, as I had given all my ones that fit beforehand to the local charity shop as I could not stand the sight of them hanging up and laughing at me. rolleyes
    • Posted

Tee hee, twin!  You weren't wearing a red hat were you?!!!lol   It reminds me of the day when I noticed that the Deputy Governor in the prison had come out of the loo unknowing that the back of her skirt was hitched up into her knickers.  My how her and I laughed about that.  And, no, before anyone asks, I wasn't an inmate!rolleyes
    • Posted

Mrs O, you're incorrigable! You must be British if you call em knickers not panties! lol twisted Who'd be looking at knickers anyway if she was wearing a red hat? rolleyesconfused
    • Posted

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple With a red hat which doesnt go and doesnt suit ...

Guess what colour knickers  - read the poem by inserting that first line.

We are a bit of piste here, but it is lovely that we can all still laugh.

• Posted

Talking about knickers (you started it)!!!!  Can anyone remember the gym knickers, school uniform?  Ours were brown and came down to the knees (no kidding).  We used to hitch then up with the hope they looked more like shorts.  Mam used to hate hanging them out in the garden - no dryers in those days! 
    • Posted

Oh, I know, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, especially Debbie's but I do hope she's enjoyed our little bit of fun!

As for school uniform knickers in those days, navy blue for goodness sake.  Used to hate undressing for gym as I was one of only two or three of us whose Mum's thought we needed liberty bodices over our vests to keep us warm!!!  And long grey socks, with garters!!!  St Trinians comes to mind.

• Posted

Hee hee!  (Never knew how to spell that)!  The mind boggles!  Oh for the good old days??!?  I'd completely forgotten about liberty bodices.
    • Posted

Ok.  back to Google for "knickers" which were worn way back by young boys here in the States.  I believe they were also worn by the "Founding Fathers" in the 17th century.  I didn't think they were panties or at least not bikinis. 

We wore gym suits in high school.  I hated gym especially after the teacher told me I should go home and Wheaties which was the cereal advertised as, The Breakfast of Champions.  I was always a klutz and not at all athletic.

• Posted

Twin again Mrs O! I aked my Mum for bra at 13 and she said can't you manage with your liberty bodice a bit longer?! twisted I couldn't even get it over my head with arms up or any other way it was so tight! She wanted to protect my "modesty"! In other words, not let the boys know I was growing out as well as up.wink lol
    • Posted

Just another question!  What exactly were liberty bodices?  I can remember the name, but not the article.
    • Posted

It's a sleeveless bodice made of warm fleecy material.  It was designed in the UK in the very early 1900s and became very popular for children whose Mummys thought they needed keeping warm!  Believe me one of those worn over a chilprufe (woollen) vest did keep you very warm.  Google something like "image of a liberty bodice". 
    • Posted

Ellie, just imagine a girl of wearing a liberty bodice these days!  Some of them are as under-dressed as we were over-dressed!rolleyes
    • Posted

Mine had rubber buttons on to hold up my ghastly over-the-knee black stockings and my bloomers went on over the top - still they did have a pocket!
    • Posted

It gets better and better! 😃😃  I know I wore them, but really can't remember how old I was and for how long.
    • Posted

Well I suffer from overheating these days! I only wear very light cotton clothing top half! I get heat rash plus allergy rash if I wear anything woollen, polyester, nylon etc. Any sctatchy fabrics in fact. I had a bad reaction to the BP cuff once when being monitored post op. All flashing lights etc and nurses came running to see what was wrong. It turned out be the cuff, my arm was bright red and swollen plus BP had gone sky high! It was an allergic reaction to the fabric of the cuff they said. I am or was a redhead, definitely Viking and we are a CF family too. It seems the Vikings were resposible for more than rape and pillage! (Liberty bodices too maybe!) lol razz
    • Posted

I'm so glad you mentioned that because I thought I remembered little rubber buttons. but didn't refer to them in case it was my imagination running away with me!  "Black stockings and bloomers over the top" - were you a St Trinian's girl?!!!!wink
    • Posted

Yes thanks they do help. The hot weather did not though, much more pleasant today even if it did rain! Nordic weather! lol wink
    • Posted

I wish - it would have been something to remember!  A Viella shirt went on next with our gymslips went on over the lot and we had the choice to either belt it or not (not, I kept losing it).

Two generations later and I wish I'd kept the school photos.  These youngsters today can't even imagine it.

• Posted

Bloomers!  That's another word I'd forgotten- and they were definitely bloomers that we had to wear!
    • Posted

Do you remember gaberdine?  I used to wear a gaberdine belted coat over my uniform.
    • Posted

I had a gaberdine uniform - in the RAF - but it was my 'best blue' the everyday uniform was very hairy and rough but you got used to it.  If you are about underware the RAF called underpants - drawers cellular - which were very popular way back then ( they had lots of 'holes' to retain the air to keep you warm !!)
    • Posted

I wouldn't mind a gaberdine trench coat now!  In fact, can't find a trench coat at all over here.
    • Posted

I remember well the roughness of the RAF uniform from the days with my very first proper boyfriend!  As for the cellular underware, my hubby still sports the cellular vests!
    • Posted

Plenty over here, Constance - Burberry do really some really genuine ones but they cost an arm and a leg!  Cheaper versiona are available though  and no doubt you can see them on Amazon.
    • Posted

Yes. we had blazers for the summer and gaberdine macs for winter, with a beret to wear.  I still occasionally see a youngster wearing a blazer (with the school badge on the breast pocket) and it instantly transports me to another age.
    • Posted

Two arms and two legs, I fear.   £2500 for some of them!!!!  Have seen loads on Amazon site (de) but they are all short.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.