Friend taking amitryptiline

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I know this isn't the usual post that is in this forum but I've searched the entirety of google and have found nothing that can give me some insight  so I'm hoping maybe someone here can. 

A friend of mine has recently started taking amitryptiline after struggling with depression, anxiety and stress for the past 5 months. At the beginning he didn't want to get help but knew he had depression and was trying to get better on his own, as that didn't work he began to get worse and started pushing away his girlfriend and making new friends. About 2-3 months ago he broke up with his girlfriend, the complete love of his life, because he didn't have any outward emotions at all. He then went on the believe he didn't have a problem at all and the emptiness was normal. He has finally gone to get help and has been prescribed 10mg of this medication. He's only been on it for a week so at the moment hes Just really groggy and hasn't really experienced any sort of emotional changes. 

I just want to know if it would be possible for him to get his personality back from all this began, maybe not the whole thing but I know if he was himself right now he would be kicking himself for ending things with this girl as prior to this he was planning on proposing, so I wonder if for both his and hers sake if it would be possible for them to sort it out, if this drug or I guess any antidepressant can help him get it back. They're both very good friends of mine and it's really difficult to watch them struggle without each other. 

Sorry this is so long and very specific to a certain situation but I'm not sure where else to look. 

Thanks for any advice. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Truthfully, I don't think this is the best anti-depressant - there are many newer ones that are better and don't have the bad side effects.  10mg is not a high enough dosage of amitriptyline to make a difference in depression.  On the correct meds, yes he can improve a lot, although will probably always deal with the symptoms somewhat.  My son is on paxil and it made a tremendous difference with him, although he still has some low periods.  If you can intervene in any way, suggest he go to a psychiatrist who is more familiar with the meds for depression and can also do some counseling which could be very beneficial.  Amit, as you have probably read, has lots of side effects for many, and is very difficult to come off of.  He needs to be on a good one to start off with.  Google "good meds for depression"- should give you some helpful info.  Prayers for your friends - it's hard to watch someone suffer that way.

• Posted

It will make you sleepy at first, so it is good at night. 10 mg is very low. The antidepressent will take some time to work. It is not a pill like aspirin works in an hour. It may be a few weeks to make the changes of chemicals in the brain. The doctor will most likely up the mg to a higher one. 10 mg. is so low but is an entry level. It also does pain relief. 
  • Posted

Amit does work with out the horrid effects of the SSRI or SNRI. Cymbalta should be banned because it has 500 effects and discontinuation is almost impossible as it kills you. Do not take Cymbalta or Effexor. Just because they are new does not mean  they are better..they lost a 20 billion lawsuit because of the lies they told people about it. Check out Cymbalta withdrawl and see thousands of horror story. After 3 months off the skin problem is still happening to me. It invades every cell. Even making my straight hair to curly in the back. I heard it did the opposite, but was amazed it could do that.  I have taken Amit. For 26 years for pain and depression over a chronic pain medical problem. The Cymbalta was supposed to help. I was on the pill from hell for 2 years. While on it I blacked out while driving. I did not know amount the horrid effects. I could not think and talking was terrible because my memory was 1 second long, the pain and sick feeling is like a bad flu. 50 to 70% on this drug Cymbalta have hellish problems and worse trying to get off. It may take a year or more to slowly discontinue. It stays in your system for months and maybe years and pops back out.  I question anyone praising it, they are probably a med. rep from the manufacture . Do some research before you go off Amit. The drowsiness goes down. Comparing its problems to a new SNRI is laughable . 

Your friend may need some counseling plus the pills. Just never ever go on Cymbalta. Read how it is killing people who want to go off it. It never gave me depression or pain relief from it. 

• Posted

Hi, Amitriptyline is not the best anti-depressant around these days. Also to get any real benefit on Ami your friend will have to go up to 150-200mg a day. I think he should try out other anti-ds first. They all effect each individual differently and it will be trial and error working out which one works for him.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Kimbles , really amitriptyline is not a good drug for your friend to be on, there are much nwer antidepressants out there. 10 mg of ami is too low, i was told you need to be on 75 mg for depression. I would get him back to the gp and ask for  a newer medication and wean himself off the ami. x
  • Posted

It can make people very groggy and doesn't agree with some so he might be best off without them.  Unfortunately you cannot really interfere with other people's relationships.   You just have to be there to listen (and I do mean listen) and support.  If they are meant to be then they will be.   Watching friends go through unpleasant times is horrid but breaking up after several months is bound to be painful.  He may need counselling rather than pills.  A very sad situation for all. 

• Posted

For depression, should use SSRI such as fluoxetine instead of

Amitriptyline.

Take fluoxetine 20mg in the morning for more serotonin in brain, and Amitriptyline 5mg at night to get good sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.