Frightened

Posted , 6 users are following.

I  have my assessment next week and I am fridgened that I am not going to remember all the things I feel I should say. Can I take notes in to refer to. My husband is coming with me, but he is only allowed to prompt me but because ing my carer he knows my limitation etc . I have added up my points and I feel I should get the in harnessed rate for mobility. I had surgery in 2005 due to a bone that grew in my spinal leaving me paralysed for around 6months, I can now walk with a frame indoors and a wheelchair outdoors. I can't propel myself apart from it causes me back pain, I would never go out on my own as I have no confidence anymore, I don't even answer the phone if I don't reconise the number. Would I get points for unable to go out on my own. I am worried that the assessor will not have experience of spinalcord damage as it is very complex and differes immensely from one person to another. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bridget I think you are over thinking the F2F its not that bad and to be honest they are the ones that ask you the relevant questions and this in itself will prompt you to remember what you need to reply, have you forwarded lots of medical evidence to support your claim because this does help no matter what some people will say.

My partner who is also my carer was allowed to answer questions if asked so its good he's with you.

Are you having a home interview

• Posted

Alexandria is right you're really over thinking this assessment. I've had 2 in the last 2.5 years and in all honesty i didn't find either too bad. They will ask you questions and you answer them. The questions are monstly based on what you put in the form. If you kept a copy of this before you sent it off i'd strongly advice you have a read through it to remind yourself of what you said. PIP is all about how your condition/s affect you in daily life. If you use aids to help you then make sure they know this. When they ask you questions please don;t just answer with a yes or no. If you can't do something tell them you can't and why. If you're husband helps with with daily care tell them this too and tell them what he does, when they ask you. I would just wait till they ask you the questions rather than you say what you think you should. If you're going to an assessment centre for this then i'll also tell you that you'll be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave.

You're right your husband can only answer questions if prompted to. Like Alexandria said her partner was able to answer questions if he was asked. It's very daunting the thought of these assessments but you'll get through it most do.

Just be honest and truthful and you'll do just fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Also fogot to add about the evidence, this is very important. Don't leave it to them to gather this because they almost never do. Evidence can be anything from GP letter, Consultants reports, MRI reports, Occupatiional Therapist reports, or even a daiary/letter from someone who knows you well.

• Posted

I've got this thing in my head that they are there to trick or confuse. Not sure what you mean that I will be watched, for what? I have already sent copies of consultants reports and copy of my medication. Thanks for your input guys fingers crossed. 

• Posted

It has been known that they try to trick you, yes. If you tell the truth you have nothing to worry about. They watch what you do, how you walk, pick things up etc..
    • Posted

There'll be a report written at the end of the assessment. You can ask for a copy of this by ringing DWP. Once they recieve both copies they'll send a copy out to you but you have to ring them for this.

• Posted

To make sure you won't be skipping across the car park on your way in! 

I went to a DLA claim and one of the things I was claiming was for a chronic back problem.  But because I managed to sit on a hard chair for 20 minutes without complaint they turned me down for that aspect.  My problem wasn't sitting but standing and walking etc.  x

• Posted

I wish I could skip across the car park, I'm in a wheelchair. I know what you mean I can sit in my wheelchair for ages one day and I have to stay in bed with pain the next. Just want it over and done with. 

• Posted

Hi bridget

I to have my assesment on the 11th and an terrified. I gathered as much evidence as l could includung lettets from my surgeon and gp a statement from my husband who will be with me the day of the assesment. I even sent xray pictures in.

I have bad ostioarthritis in all my joints and l have has in past year 2 hip replacements ans a knee. I am awaiting my other knee. I had to give uo my job as a manger and go part time. I was off work for over a year and l have been unable to sleep in my bed for a year. I sleep on the couch. I can walk with aids but my husband does everything for me. I am in pain 24/7 and take strong pain medication so l can walk and go to work 2 days per week. My work has bought me a special chair and footrest but l have to keep getting up and down. And by the afternoon l.am really struggling.

I can't walk any sort of distance and me as a person has changed so much. I have lost who l used to be. No confidence, dont want to leave the house. Driving is sore and l can only do small journeys l hardly drive now. I do it cause l have to for work. Its mentally changed me l am depressed and get anxiety. I know my life will never be the same. I am 43 and feel 73 because of my body. And l can feel the OA going to my ankles and back now as there is oain in them all the time. But l have heard what you have about these assesments. That they try to trick you ans stuff. I know l will cry as it has affected my life so much and talking about it will upset me. If l go through all this for them to sat no l will be devastated. I had my life and my career taken from me bacause of this ilness. So l totally understand.

I had no idea my husband was not allowed to talk unless promted to so l am glad l read this.

Goid luck with yours

Laura x

• Posted

I think your husband should speak if he thinks you've missed something important.  He doesn't need to say much, just something like "You've not mentioned ......" and then you can take over.  I went to my appointment with a friend but she stayed in the waiting area because I wouldn't have been comfortable talking in front of her.  My report says "Didn't need prompting" and this was part of the reason that the assessor decided I don't have anxiety or depression.  Had my friend been there she would have prompted me a lot because I had forgotten to mention a lot of things.  If she tries to stop him talking you could turn to him and ask if you've forgotten anything.  I've no idea if they'll let you do that but it might work.  The assessment isn't as bad as you might think.  She didn't try to trick me.  The problem comes from incorrect assumptions that they make and you won't know these until you get the report.  It must be part of the training though because you see the same assumptions mentioned on forums quite often.

• Posted

Thank you for your input. I will forget things as I'm going to be a nervous wreck. So my husband could remind me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.